CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > surface trimming in 13.43

surface trimming in 13.43

Subscribe Topic

Steve

Message 1 of 5

surface trimming in 13.43
28-01-2008 04:12 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I noticed some new behavior in 13.43. Trimming a surface to a curve takes a very long time. I have attached an iges file to test on. Try trimming out one of the pockets in the middle of the surface using the curves on the surface. Also, if you extrude the trimming curves and use the resulting surface set as your trimming entities, it goes much faster, but the resulting trim edge is a single entity, i.e., you don't get a trim edge at the intersection of the base surface and each trimming surface. This is OK, unless you want to use the trim edges for something else.

Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe there's a better work around.

steve

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

28-01-2008 04:43 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hello Steve

Bit puzzled as to why you have made an IGES file as we can't see what you see in terms of the native geometry. I have tested the geom, all four apertures are cut out by VX v13.43 in milliseconds........

Steve

Message 3 of 5

28-01-2008 04:49 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
It gets even stranger. It turns out that it cuts in milliseconds here as well, unless there exists another object in the VX file into which the iges file is imported. It can even be an empty object. It's also slow if there's another VX file open at the same time. Also, this behavior is the same in version 12.7 - something I had not noticed before.

Try this: create a new file. create a part object. go back up a level and create a second part object, then import the iges file into this new object. now try trimming all three pockets at once.

Steve

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 5

28-01-2008 05:17 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

OK, tried that and the result is just as fast. This time I tried multiple trims too, absolutely fine but you do need to ensure that you have enough "side to keep" picks - that would be five picks along X if you want to cut all four apertures at once. So, I'm stumped as to what is going wrong on your machine.....

Steve

Message 5 of 5

28-01-2008 05:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I'm stumped too. This happens not only on my machine, but on all four workstations here. They are all Intel based (P4 and Pentium D) with either 1 or 2 gig of memory and all have NVIDIA graphics boards. The 4 aperture trim takes almost a full minute on my machine in the case I outlined above. It takes only a fraction of a second if I close out VX, re-launch, import the IGES and trim - with no other intermediate commands.

I'll keep trying to isolate the cause.

Thanks for your help

Steve
See also
X