file name size

Subscribe Topic

cutter

Message 1 of 11

file name size
08-03-2008 02:59 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I have a recurring problem with inability to fully describe my files before VX cuts me off at 31 characters. Today I get another file in that has 10 numbers for the their part number and then of course I have to add my data. My preference would be to date and simply describe this part in the .vx file so that when I am looking for parts I can easily find the file I am looking for. 31 spaces is just way to short for good descriptions for some of my customers parts and I am looking for a way to solve this. Any ideas anyone?

Paul

Message 2 of 11

09-03-2008 02:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Cutter,
I think we all have some aspect of this problem but it's not specific to VX and the 31 chrs is an OS limitation. Good ol' Lotus 123 had a nice description field for each file which is a great solution as it comes up when opening files.
It would seem you can at least prefix or add a date and a short desc. Date last mdofied is recorded automatically and shows on mouse over.

I wonder if you should actually have a notebook which keeps a permanent record of what each file is. You might also use this ot record other rlevant info about the job.
Or you could use a WP document, exporting the object list from VX via a macro for exactly that, courtesy of Chris W.
Do you have to use the customer number as part of the your multi object file? Why not use a your own code for the file and have the part as a root object within. e.g. Make a new multi obect file then add the parts etc.

When a file is open, you have access to two levels of additional info.
1) Choose to view attributes when in the root object manager. There is a decent description field there.
2) Select Edit/Notes. Here you can enter as much tect as you want. You can also do this for each object, however there is no easy way to preview this info as far as I am aware....? Enlightenment....

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 11

09-03-2008 06:15 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi cutter

As advised by Mudcrab, you can indeed store the Full Name of a Root Object in the Part Attributes form (e.g. Description Field) and use Shortened names for VX Files and Root Objects. You could keep a record in a spreadsheet or database that simply links the Full and Shortened File names. That record could of course be part your regular check-in check-out record of customer/supplier drawings.

If desired, VX can be locked to "1 File 1 Object" via the Config, General Tab. This way the File name and Object names can be identical, and thus Objects are easier to find, but for large assemblies you end up with the inconvenience of large file counts.

In the Utilities Menu at Root Object Level, VX v13 has a feature, "Find and Replace Name". You can use this tool to find a Root Object in any file (replacing its name is an option).

When VX goes 64bit, it will be possible to have longer names.

cutter

Message 4 of 11

10-03-2008 11:20 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris, curious to know about the 64 bit version. When will this be and what will be the advantages of it? Cutter

Paul

Message 5 of 11

10-03-2008 02:49 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
It's all Ghostware! Some claim to have seen it ....

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 11

10-03-2008 03:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hi cutter

At this stage I can only say that we have 64bit "in the melting pot" for the next release (v14). That does not mean to say that it will be launched in v14, the very heart of VX is affected, so a very serious code change. Also, a lot depends on what Microsoft do about improving Windows Vista between now and then.

64bit brings advantages and disadvantages (no surprise there!). Perhaps the main advantage is that the OS (Vista) should be able to allow each application access to a much great amount of RAM and larger file sizes too. At the moment, for reasons best known to Microsoft, this hasn't really happened yet (Vista x64 should support up to 128GB RAM but currently struggles to boot with only 4GB, lots of scary stories flying around).

64bit should allow VX to use longer file names, and we should also be able to re-design our internal names handling of VX Objects (Part, Sheet etc). In many circumstances, calculations should have greater accuracy (64bit CPU) - this is not always a benefit mind you, it could provoke computational tolerance issues (is that value really 0.9999999999998 or should it be 1.0?).

For many people, the downside of 64bit OS is that many 32bit applications will not run on it and many 32bit drivers also, which could mean your favorite word processor and your printer, scanner etc would be junk.

Kevin

Message 7 of 11

11-03-2008 02:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Chris XP64 is pretty well established in workstations these days. Certainly for those doing a lot of rendering and animation and 3D scanning work XP64 is considered the OS of choice. I know a guy running Vista 64 on a Mac (lets not go there again though!) and he is booting up 16GB RAM for heavy duty animation files and very hi res renders from Maxwell. I think a lot of the problems with 64 bit are that people don't get decent enough hardware to run it and they treat the workstation as a standard PC filled with all the usual crap. Certainly the big benefit for users of MCAD is that 64 bit lets you load up huge assembly files (if thats what you are into) or render out huge resolutions in rendering software.

On the comments on the SolidWorks forum it appears that unless you are running more than 4GB ram XP64 or Vista 64 runs slower with less stability. If you run 6GB+ ram that is when the speed (some say 10-20% gains) and stability kick in.

If VX Corp are concerned about Microsoft maybe they should switch to Mac - where they do have a 64 bit OS that actually does work well with every application

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 11

11-03-2008 04:08 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hi Kevin

XP64 is probably a bit of a non-starter for the 64bit VX, given that Microsoft will drop XP64 in favour of Vista 64 in the future. It is on Vista that Microsoft are making the effort to properly address all that 64bit can deliver. I would like them to support multi-core processors properly on XP but it probably will not happen now. According to Microsoft, solutions to the 4GB+ RAM problems are work in progress. The reason for slowness on 4GB RAM is mostly due to the CPU annexing a portion of it, thus leaving less available for the OS and applications. The Utopian is to have the OS, applications and data files all held in RAM. It seems that 8GB would be the practical minimum, but for the serious performance required of "big" CAD files even more may be needed. CAM will certainly benefit greatly. For rendering, it depends on the application. Some use the CPUs exclusively, others use the GPU too. There are GPUs that are faster than CPUs and some companies are trying to exploit that advantage for non-graphic purposes - potentially good for very intensive calculations.

I think in about three years time we will all be using PCs with around 64GB RAM, and wonder how we ever managed with just 2GB. Mind you, my 64MB Amstrad was never found wanting - it churned out reams of data which is still in use for the design of todays modern aircraft. Of course, in three years time we will all be asking, "Apple who?"

Kevin

Message 9 of 11

12-03-2008 07:21 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Just you wait until Apple buys out Microsoft Chris

I looking forward to running my A3 sized touch screen with broadband internet access everywhere......

cutter

Message 10 of 11

12-03-2008 09:02 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi all, Unless vista does something pretty amazing I see no reason to switch from XP especially since Microsoft will support the pro version for so much longer. I figure to outwait "Vista ME" and go directly to the next os after it so I hope VX has no intention of doing away with xp anytime in the next 4 years or so. I am coming to the conclusion that after you have a decent amount of ram and a good cpu the hard drive rpm is the biggest bottlenck most people have. I see some raptors in the future for me soon to overcome this.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 11

12-03-2008 12:36 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi cutter

The biggest drawback that XP has is the restricted RAM and thereby effectively restricted file sizes. This does not affect everyone, it depends entirely on what you actually use your CAD-CAM for. It is also one of the reasons why VX is a good buy, because it can do much more than most with 2GB.

2GB is an XP32 restriction of RAM size allocation per application. Edit: VX v13.5x can now read-write up to 4GB files on XP32.

I am a big fan of XP and find Vista to be a bit clumsy and sloooow. Still, the next Windows will be much better for sure - if it has a different name, it will still be Vista "under the hood". That will be OK, Microsoft do make good products and they know their latest effort has missed the mark. It happens. Of course a 64bit VX should be fine on XP64, but in a few months time, you will not be able to buy XP anymore. Once that happens, XP will be excluded from consideration by the hardware manufacturers. Slippery slope.
See also
X