CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Tangent blending of surfaces/cut-outs and surface height differences.

Tangent blending of surfaces/cut-outs and surface height differences.

Subscribe Topic

Mark

Message 1 of 7

11-03-2008 08:18 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Sorry if my title doesnt fully describe my question, or the following ramble!.
There are many products, (car/bike bodywork) where surfaces seem to seamlessly blend into one another another tangentaly?
A reasonable example is here
http://hypershot.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=279
I have done this kind of thing before but it seems like so much effort, worse still they hardly ever shell.
Has anyone any tips on tools or teechniques to use in VX?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

11-03-2008 09:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello the MIB

The rib blending does not look so special to me, I think the very high quality glossy finish of the rendered image makes a difference.

Mark

Message 3 of 7

11-03-2008 10:16 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Ok, As I said, it was a reasonable example,
Has anyone any tips on tools or techniques to use in VX?
I see so many products where surfaces blend near perfectly into each other.
Eg, there apears to be a surface underneath another, and when the top surface has a cutout into it the revealed lower surface blends into the upper one.

Kevin

Message 4 of 7

11-03-2008 02:41 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello MIB, nice to see you posted the link after all

There is a technique that I use in SolidWorks with the Fill Surface command (similar to the VX n sided patch surface). The technique is to cut away a square or 4 sided hole where the nasty intersections take place then use the Fill Surface with G2 continuity to fill it. Give a perfect fade out in many situations. I have attempted this in VX but it never quite works the way I expect. This link is to a page of SolidWorks tutorials done by Ed Eaton of the Dimonte Group in the USA who are industrial designers/moulders/toolmakers. Ed does a presentation at SolidWorks World every year on surfacing and comes froma very production based background. Although the techniques detail SolidWorks workflows the actual techniques can be applied to most 3D systems - certainly Rhino and VX - just a question of finding the corresponding tool. Maybe Chris or one of the other VX gurus could take a look and give recommendations as to VX tools?

http://www.dimontegroup.com/Tutorials/SolidWorks_Tutorials.htm

Mark

Message 5 of 7

12-03-2008 09:03 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Kevin, thanks for the link.
I believe I met you at the last UK users meeting!?!!
I need some time to play.
Time isnt what I have got just now.
My usual gripe with software modelling we buy into is that there are compromises.
If I hand modelled an idea design in clay and could not recreate it in CAD, (VX), then the limitation of my design is not my imagination or creativity, it would be the software, (or the ability of the user/experience).
Add to that time constraints, worse now than ever and you see why sharing information may help.

"Maybe Chris or one of the other VX gurus could take a look and give recommendations as to VX tools?"
That would be extra help and appreciated if available.

Kevin

Message 6 of 7

10-04-2008 03:54 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I notice that the user on the Hypershot forum says he did those helmets with Alias Studiotools?

Paul

Message 7 of 7

10-04-2008 07:50 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I had a look at the helmet pics a while back.
Considering the helmet is only an example to demonstrate the desired modelling, my comment:

Due to the gloss render you can see how well or otherwise the blend is by observing the light lines.
On close inspection it seems there is a crease that is well beyond what seems is required. Looks like the sort of issue you are alluding to.
I'd be a surprised if VX couldn't do as good or better.
Just how, off course, is the question.
Now if I some one wants to throw a model together and post it... aaah the time.
See also
X