CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Reset option for menus

Reset option for menus

Subscribe Topic

cutter

Message 1 of 8

Reset option for menus
07-04-2008 12:25 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
My mind is tired sometimes and does not allways work so well after a long day. I was working on a part over the weekend and could not get this thing right no matter what I did. Turns out that I had changed the sew command to trim on the fillet menu and there was my problem in the part with open edges. Now where I am heading with this is there are 10 variables basically on the menu and if I remember right 10 x 10 gives you the number of potential variables. You are in the middle of a problem and so you try this, and then this and then that and before you know it you have no idea what the base menu looked like. And I really doubt that there is any one of us that is in the habit of writting down each variable as we try it to remember where we started from. I know I am not. In discussing this with Mike today I mentioned the idea of a reset button for these menus that could take us back to the original state where we can start over or at least see what it is to compare with where we are at. He mentioned that at this time you can reset the toolbars and restore to original state that way but then VX shuts down for a restart to get there and that is no good. My suggestion was a seperate button on these menus to restore the original prompts and an idea he had been kicking arouind that I like even more was to have the default settings in a different color text than the rest of the menu. Do these sound like good ideas to anyone else?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 8

07-04-2008 03:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi cutter

When you apply "Reset Toolbars", VX restarts itself - the current file you are in is returned to screen, so it is painless.

I like the idea of having the default items in a different colour (or bold). Would be great on the CAM side where there are many options.

Steve

Message 3 of 8

08-04-2008 09:06 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Funny you say this cutter... I had an IDENTICAL problem last week. Had ALL SORTS of trouble doing filleting, or boolean operations on a part, only to find out the sewing tolerance changed from .0003" to 1.003".

cutter

Message 4 of 8

09-04-2008 02:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris, I was not aware that VX would restart and bring your work with it. I have had VX core on me before and when it does that your stuff is gone past your last save and so the idea of deliberatly shutting VX down was a thought I am not used to. I would say that Cad is just as confusing as Cam and think Mikes idea is by far the best solution and would love to see it applied to all. Part of the confusion with choice is that there are times when things just seem to happen, as Steve mentions, and you have no idea an entity has even been changed and so just how do you correct the issue at that time with no place to "start"?

Paul

Message 5 of 8

09-04-2008 07:11 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
My twopence worth....

If there was to be a reset to default option for each (how many are there?) variable dialogue, that would be cool. However, IMHO, there are a few things that might need to occur before that is undertaken.

There needs to be consistency between commands as to how user choices are handled. Some commands, always revert to system choice, others stay with last user choice, some resent on closing VX, (there may be other scenarios too)
I think the rule should be to use the last user choice and this should endure between sessions. RMB choices especially are in this category.

I find attributes, a bit frustrating, in that on opening the attribute dialoge, the current attribute setting is NOT displayed. As a result, you're not always sure of the current setting being used. Especially tricky when the attributes are similar in appearance but with some differences of importance. This is also a 'default' setting issue ambiguity.

Consistency of behaviour is very important, especailly when it can significantly reduce the clicks. mouse and input actions as I believe a 'enduring last choice' regime would.

Ability to revert to a default command setting is consistent with this idea, even more so if the user has some influence on what these end up being as in attributes.

Cheers,

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 8

10-04-2008 04:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Mudcrab

I find attributes, a bit frustrating, in that on opening the attribute dialoge, the current attribute setting is NOT displayed.

That is very strange, because the current attributes setting should be displayed - to which attributes dialog do you refer?

Paul

Message 7 of 8

10-04-2008 07:36 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
yes definitely a bit obscure - my apologies.

The attributes dialogue does indeed display, however the 'in use' bundle name does not. It just seems to me that it would be mighty helpful to know just which bundle I am dealing with at the time.
Does this make any more sense?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 8

10-04-2008 11:11 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

It shows the Bundle File name, but not the current bundle name. I will raise a PCR on that, thank you.
See also
X