CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > V13.55 - Release version?

V13.55 - Release version?

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 30

V13.55 - Release version?
22-05-2008 04:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
is this release 'OFFICIAL PUBLIC' yet?????

Got to be quick. That's the advantage of being 'downunder' we are a few hours ahead of the rest of the world.

Hmmm, maybe that's why I'm so tired...!

Makes me feel kinda important to know that you released it straight after I paid my maintnenance. So much for so little.

Expecting BIG things from V13.55

Cheers to all in the factory., .

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 30

22-05-2008 05:41 . am   |   View his/her posts only

There is a delay between when a release can be seen on the page and when it is officially ready. That's because we like to test the download and install process first.

So, it isn't ready unless Mike Lynch says so and anyone that downloads the files too early will bring bad luck upon their Test Cricket team.......

Paul

Message 3 of 30

22-05-2008 02:41 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
on that basis, the test is OK. It has managed to make it to NZ, does it have to go any further this planet?

Re the cricket score. Damm. I guess that leaves me stumped.

Here's the score as I see it.
V13.44 full rar. 168Mb
V13.50 full rar 192Mb
V13.55 full rar237Mb

Looks to me like the runs are ticking along at a good ol' rate which sort of goes to show it aint good to congratulate software people about how small their software is! Or their hardware for that matter.

Better crawl back under the log now.

Cheers

Mike

Message 4 of 30

06-06-2008 01:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Sorry guys, I have been on a vacation of sorts.
If you have not downloaded 13.55 at this point it would not be prudent to do so because 13.60 is immenent. We are trying to get back on schedule.

Mike

Message 5 of 30

08-07-2008 07:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
If you have not downloaded 13.55 this would be a good time to do it. 13.60 has been pulled off the shelf. We were working on a fix that was a little tougher than we expected. Instead of releasing it without proper testing the decision was made to make our next release 13.65. The anticipated release date is August first.

Paul

Message 6 of 30

04-08-2008 03:38 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
how's the release date for 13.65 looking?
This part of the world 1st August has been and gone....

Cheers
Paul

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 30

04-08-2008 05:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

v13.65 is currently in QA testing, being Assessed for Release. How well the version performs in the testing will ultimately determine when it can be released, but v13.65 will not be the last v13, it will continue to be improved. I cannot give you a fixed date, clearly the 1st of August might be difficult What I can tell you is that I'm using it daily and it is looking very robust. Of particular interest to me was how many Autodesk translator fixes have been incorporated, and the answer is "many".

Paul

Message 8 of 30

05-08-2008 12:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Not sure of your connections upstairs Chris, but Impossible is 'perhaps' more accurate re the 01/08/08!.
Or is this a parametric date?

Do machine symbols get exported? (DXF)

Cheers
Paul

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 30

05-08-2008 05:33 . am   |   View his/her posts only
...not in any shape or form.

Paul

Message 10 of 30

05-08-2008 07:28 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
I appreciate your honesty.
Machining symbols do not export to DXF in V13.65 -
If that remains the case, then it is extremely dissapointing as it is vital information on a drawing.

Is there an alternative or work around that ensures something suitable IS exported?

Any workable suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 30

05-08-2008 08:00 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hello mudcrab

It is necessary to use the explode tool (Edit/Explode). Don't forget to undo the explode after the export is performed.

Nick

Message 12 of 30

15-08-2008 08:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi,

It's the Ides of August -- awfully quiet out there.

Here's hoping for version 13.65.

Nick.

cutter

Message 13 of 30

16-08-2008 04:58 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Yes it is and hope springs eternal that things are fixed this time.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 14 of 30

16-08-2008 06:16 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hello Chaps

v13.65 is still in the QA process. A lot of fixes have gone into it. Certain elements require further work, much of which is going into v13.65 before it is released. Further v13 bug-fixing releases will follow.

Nick

Message 15 of 30

18-08-2008 10:45 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

I had an email from our Vx reseller (matt@vertexllc.com) who stated that version 13.65 would have customizable setup sheets.

Is that still the case, I hope?

thanks,

Nick.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 16 of 30

18-08-2008 02:21 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hello Nick

That tool has been coded and submitted for v13.65, but there is a possibility that it will not be ready for release (failed QA). If it does not make it into v13.65, it should be ready for a subsequent v13 release.

Paul

Message 17 of 30

19-08-2008 03:21 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Show-n-tell eh? Does this require a copy of VX or can they be run independently?
Can VX makes it's own SnT's?
Which version does it start in?
Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 18 of 30

19-08-2008 05:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello mudcrab

All will be revealed in September For those that did not hear about VX Show-n-Tell":

http://www.vx.com/printrelease.cfm?PressID=156&LangID=us

cutter

Message 19 of 30

20-08-2008 09:19 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Does anyone know if there will be any features similar to the Synchronous technology SE has in future VX releases? From what I have seen in person it looks very powerfull and would like to see something like it here.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 20 of 30

20-08-2008 10:02 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hi cutter

We don't really want to reveal future VX technology too soon. Like many, our industry is highly competitive and the big fish are happy to copy VX innovation. I don't like to spend time knocking competitors, but as most seasoned CAD Users will be quick to notice, the "industry first" being claimed for SE Synchronous Technology simply is not true. For mechanical engineering, mould tool design and similar disciplines, history management is by far the most efficient system. However, we believe that a future VX is going to let you have your cake and eat it......

Mike

Message 21 of 30

22-08-2008 10:45 . am   |   View his/her posts only
This is why I hate to make guesses about when the product will release. The latest info I have is that it will still be released in the month of August. I know, I know, there is only a week left. Well that is a good thing. Check back next week. And the next person that asks when 13.65 will be released will have to run a lap around track in Beijing.

BTW - The Customize XML Output is in 13.65 at the bottom of the OUTPUT > Documentation tab.

Paul

Message 22 of 30

22-08-2008 03:05 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
I'm up to a lap (or 2) around the Beijing track - Q. Is VX undertaking to pay the airfare?

So when is 13.70 due?

Cheers from Downunder - a day and sometimes a month ahead!!!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 23 of 30

24-08-2008 03:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

The XML output is in the v13.65 under test, but there may not be enough time for it to be included in the full release. The target date for v13.7x can be allocated once v13.65 is ready to go - we will know then the amount of extra work carried over from v13.65. Mike might have been referring to the Marathon, so you have done well to complete two laps mudcrab I think team GB have worked out the easiest way to win gold - They won most of their events sitting on their backsides!

cutter

Message 24 of 30

27-08-2008 01:47 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris, thinking about what you said re "seasoned cad users". Don't suppose I am one as I have only been involved for four years but I do know enough to see what I am shown in person to be reality. But it is some serious heavy hitters with actual realworld user knowledge of other programs and who have been in the industry for some years that directed my attention elsewhere and as long term users they command my respect. And actually yes it is true, they are excited, and no there has never been an implementation in this exact fashion before. You really should look before you leap I dare say. I hope VX does do some of these things and others soon. Very soon.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 25 of 30

27-08-2008 05:28 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
As one of the first ever Users of CAD in the UK and with 30 years experience, I do know a bit about CAD-CAM software

Ultimately, what SE have on offer is a twist on methods used by other applications, past and present. Like all programs, it has both good and bad points. The CAD-CAM market is huge and still growing, so there will continue to be a diversity of solutions available, and that is good for everyone. Claiming an "industry first" should in my view be done with greater caution. This is the same app that made similar claims in 2005 about a capability that VX had from day one! Nevertheless, we are not interested in a "slanging match" with competitors, most of whom do have very good products. We believe that VX is different from the norm, offered at a very competitive price to deliver real value for money. Many VX customers used a competitor's product in the past, which says a lot about the overall capability of VX, proven day-in day-out on real projects.

cutter

Message 26 of 30

28-08-2008 09:57 . am   |   View his/her posts only
So do these guys and they use it in the actual real world workaday situations to earn a living.

Rick [ the VP of Customer Service for Solidworks ] from 8-19-08 posts on "Matt Writes"

If a customer pays a parking ticket that dosnt mean he is pleased. It means he had to pay to keep his car.

As a user for over 10 years I feel that the subscription service is essential because you never know when you will get hit with a release like 2008. I renewed my subscription and joined this forum for the same reason. I feel that I have another year to see SW turn around and sell good software, or I have a year to poke around and find out what other SW customers are moving to. SW was a great product that I liked so well I pushed it to others. SW ran an add pointing out that a change is a SW model was easy, a change in a Mechanical desktop model caused a crash. That add has been gone a long long time. I think SW customers are reacting to this price increase even when it doesnt effect us because we feel we are being ignored and are not getting our moneys worth.

Below is a part of a letter I sent to my VAR.

If you have people at SW that you can pass this on to I want to tell them that they are trying to hard with the glitz, and not near hard enough with the reliability.

I realize that SW is fighting for market share, but us old timers are getting beat up.

I like 2006, I like 2007. I like 2008. All have a good enough interface that more is not needed. In other words I dont care about the interface. The interface might save seconds, or it might cost seconds, I dont care. I care about crash. It crashes and crashes and crashes again. The automatic backup doesnt work most of the time. There is no such thing as enough memory any more (I have 4
gig) video is slow. and it crashes.

If you called me and said Frank, XXXX is taking on a new
line, It only has 75% of the features of SW but it is rock solid stable and costs the same I would buy it. Then I would get on the phone and sell 10 more companies for you.

In other words. SW is trying very hard to drive us old customers away, and when the next hot product comes along, if it is stable, and XXX will back it up with your excellent tech support, they will be successful.
My VAR asked me to wait untill 2009 I told them I would, but I am studdying my options.

Frank A DeWitt

Do these issues of reliability sound familiar? Users ask each other "how do you like your software?" when there are problems with what they use. Even users with a trivial four years of use do this and their comments command respect in the user community just the same as 30 year users as the 30 year guys know there are problems too. When they are happy they are bragging about what it does and showing off to each other and your potential new customers how much better their stuff is than "brand X" is. Solidworks users are now having these discussions. I have these same discussions with VX users. I am really trying to put the heat on VX to shape up before it is to late by demonstrating that these reliability issues are not unique to VX, and that user rejection of software that has problems, and the companies that write the stuff do not fix them, is inevitable over time. In this series of posts is mentioned more than once the idea of user surveys to see what bothers actual users and so far, like my suggestions more than once to VX, they are met with total silence. A good sales team will get a company new customers, but solid releases keep them. Your opinion of VX is irrelevant to users Chris because you are not a subsciber. I am and you should remember this and quit being so condescending and defensive.

cutter

Message 27 of 30

28-08-2008 10:14 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I might point out also that these guye were mostly users of someone elses software too before they used SW

cutter

Message 28 of 30

28-08-2008 10:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Yeah it's me again. This four year comment keeps resonating in my minds eye and I have decided to post something I had earlier not intended to. A, My new seat of Solid Edge will be here today. B, I put my money where my mouth is. I will probably send in one more years maintenance but if VX does not straighten things out for me as a PAYING customer I WILL be gone. 30 years blah blah who cares. This will be my last post on VX forums in all likelyhood as you guys will either fix it or you won't and quite frankly I don't much care any more.

John

Message 29 of 30

28-08-2008 11:01 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Cutter,
I really agree with most of your statements. I have had VX for almost 3 years and still waiting for a version of 13 that works so I can implement into ou production. I needed some changes to VX to do the modeling and machining I do with my current software. VX was quick to add these new capabilites and everything worked in 12.93. With the release of 13 everything was broken. I can really understand how new capabilties in the software may not work as planned, but the one step forward and two steps back is a killer.

I have been involved with Cad/Cam since 1989 with experience in using SDRC, Catia, Icem, Strim, ProE, Anvil and Autocad. I really admire some of the high end capabiliteis of VX for the price point. But most of the basic tasks are much more complicated than any other package I have used. Example: 3D circle on a plane. In other packages pick the center, normal of the plane and input the radius, simple..staight forward. Try that in VX. Tried to scale along a vector and am still trying to find a way in VX.

Reading this post I can see many others are waiting for the fixes in 13.65 as am I. I hope to finally go forward with VX. I agree that a users suggestion survey would really be useful. VX would benefit from seeing that more than one user is interested in the an area of change. I know simplification of basic wireframe geometry creation is high on my list.

John

ChrisWard2k2

Message 30 of 30

28-08-2008 10:28 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Bottlecad

The attached movies show how to draw a 3D Circle of specific radius/diameter and how to scale along a vector. Along with the movie, you will find "tscc.exe" in the zip file. If you find that you cannot play the movie, run this exe once to auto-install the TechSmith movie codec.
See also
X