Subscribe Topic

cutter

Message 1 of 6

DWG imports
17-06-2008 05:19 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Just curious to know if others are having import issues on DWG's or if it is just me. 4 out of 10 files I opened today were a little bad to so bad I could not even pull dimensions off of them. Files have been to support allready so they are not posted here. I would like to hear from USERS and what they are dealing with. I guess what irritates me is A9CAD, Voloview, Alibre and Inventor LT all opened them with no problems.

Paul

Message 2 of 6

17-06-2008 05:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Cutter,
I have had to communicate drawings the other direction from VX.
I have had limited success. I use the Brava Free DWG Viewer to check them. Brava opens everything but the user often cannot read them! Getting the settings just right is very important.
I think the VX manuals could be a lot more helpful in guiding users in this area. Pure information is fine, but none of us knows it all. Export/Import Wizards could be really helpful. Off course this assumes the whole issue is sufficiently well understood by the Wizard cook.
When the client sends the revised drawings back for me to check it becomes a probelm as you have experienced and we come to a stalemate. PDF is much more reliable but no use when you want to use the drawing for anything other than a drawing.
I have no advice to help you as I have spent lot's of time trying to get a robust solution but have failed.

I am now working very closely with a company that uses SW. They wish to be able to take their own drawings/dimensions from models originating in VX. So far I have not figured out how to achiove this either.

A HOT topic, hope some light is thrown on it.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 6

18-06-2008 06:10 . am   |   View his/her posts only

VX v13.55 introduced our new AutoDesk translator. It has been some time in the making and naturally has some rough edges right now. The main faults are being worked on and some are fixed for v13.6x, which will be released soon.

If you import a 2D DWG/DXF drawing into a 3D Model, do not store it in a Sub-Part if you need to see the dimensions. It is better to create a Sketch and import into that (switch off the constraints solver first!)

Getting VX Models into SW is easy if the models are simple. If on the other hand VX has been used to produce complex surfaces, it is more difficult, as you have no doubt discovered, because SW sometimes can't handle the geometry in IGES format. The best format to try therefore is Parasolids. What are you trying to send Paul, a single model or an assembly?

Paul

Message 4 of 6

18-06-2008 05:08 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
for my SW associates I need to send single parts. Some parts are very simple, others are quite developed curvy items. My experiments so far have showed the IGES to be more successful than Parasolids. I really dont understand the intricasies (or spelling) of the various export parameters. Seems to be a science in it own right.
My version of SW is 2004 so I have to accomodate this in my testing. My client is 2007/8 so can presumably handle later version outputs.

Any suggestions helpful.

I am really looking forward to the clean and tidy DXF/DWG output.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

19-06-2008 01:59 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hi Paul

I cannot say for sure but I think the SW IGES translator in 2007 is a different one to that in 2004, which would mean that you could have a successful translation into 2004 but the same IGES file could be less successful in 2007/8. However, I assume that you are exporting from VX to SW2004, and then sending your customer SW files?

When exporting Parasolids, ensure that you select a lower version in the export options.

cutter

Message 6 of 6

21-06-2008 12:59 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab and may I chip in with an AMEN to really looking forward to clean and tidy after 4 years of issues. Don't want to hear any more excuses or reasons for why not as money is way to hard to come by any more and this impacts my bottom line. I guess software is like hiring Doctors or Lawyers, you know you are going to get a bill even for dubious results.
See also
X