CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Rough/finish speeds and feeds

Rough/finish speeds and feeds

Subscribe Topic

Nick

Message 1 of 5

Rough/finish speeds and feeds
18-06-2008 08:37 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Chris,

I sent this to Ray earlier - you spoiled me with the macro to insert the frame to multiple operations and it got me to thinking.

We currently have 2 machining centers here - one machine has a top rpm of 3500 and the other 10000 rpm. (150 ipm and 600 ipm)

Sometimes we have to post a program for both machines. I was wondering if I could make use of the rough and finish speed and feed settings in the parameters of an operation. I know we had an issue a while back with tapping where we have to make sure all tapping is set to "finish" on the feedrate.

It seems that all the mill operations have no problem distinguishing between rough and finish speeds and feeds. However, the canned cycles seem to recognize the finish speed, but not the finish feedrate. I assume that is because in the cycles.def file the cycles are set to "@feed_rough@".

It would be handy to be able to use rough speeds and feeds for one machine and finish speeds and feeds for the other machine.

Then I could ask for a macro to toggle all the operations from rough to finish (or vice-versa).

Anyway, just thinking - it seems every time I program 60 fixture for one machine, the workload changes and I need to change speeds and feeds to accommodate the other machine.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

thanks,

Nick.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

19-06-2008 04:06 . am   |   View his/her posts only

First thought is - sounds tricky but plausible. The canned cycle setting could I think be handled by the Post Processor.

When juggling speeds and feeds using the Operation Class value, what happens when you get a third machine?

If you have a VX "library set" of Feeds and Speeds that you use for specific materials/operation types/cutters, then it might be better to be able to apply these from within VX, semi-automated with a VxDAL. There is a VxDAL program, "ToolData" that is designed to do this using external information, where the key parameter values are stored in CSV files. ToolData is not yet released but under going advanced testing at a Customer Site. The customer concerned uses a 3rd party application from ToolTech NL to determine machining strategy. That application produces CSV files that strictly comply with the VX ToolData format, and the ToolData program is then in turn used to auto-update a CAM Plan. However, because ToolData is using a neutral file type, a spreadsheet program or plain text editor can be used to produce the files (based on initially exporting VX Speeds and Feeds if available). Or another VxDAL.....

It might be an idea to produce a "master" Cam Plan for one machine. If another machine is to be used, copy the CamPlan (Root Object) and edit the speed/feeds for the other machine. If the copy CamPlan(s) are updated automatically using a VxDAL, any subsequent changes to the master CamPlan would not be a problem, simply a matter of deleting the copy, replacing it with a new copy, then running the updating VxDAL. So, it all depends on the range of setups/materials/operation types/cutters etc that you use, as to whether a VxDAL would be too cumbersome to use (or indeed to code). Since the VxDALs are provided free of charge they are prioritized according to how useful they might be for all VX Users (you could pay around $120 per hour for a similar service from other CAD-CAM vendors, though not many even have such a service).

By the way, there is a difference between a Macro program, which is a recording of User actions replayable to repeat those actions and a VxDAL, which is a programed solution to a problem. SetFrame is a simple solution to use yet required 1700 lines of code!

Nick

Message 3 of 5

20-06-2008 06:37 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion - I did work around this with an alternate post (thank heaven for PostHaste!). It works in this instance since this particular job consists of 30 or 40 pieces using the same tools, so speeds and feeds are consistent. We're running 2 to 4 jobs a week, so there is a lot of details involved. It was worth it to make a specific post for this type of job.

I'd like to spend some time with the speed/feed file, but time does not permit.

Thanks again for the idea.

Nick.

PS - I know the term "macro" has been bastardized over the years - I guess I've fallen in with the rest.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 5

22-06-2008 09:33 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Nick

The attached VxDAL "ToggleClass" should keep you going until that 3rd CNC machine arrives.

Other customers: If you would like to use this VxDAL (it's free) please check the downloads web page to see if it has been updated. I would not normally attach DALs to a Forum Thread but at the time of writing support.vx.com is unavailable (essential maintenance).

VxDAL DOWNLOADS

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 5

31-10-2008 06:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello scallopz,

Some additional info from Holland about the VxDal that imports tooldata from csv files.
The company Chris is referring to is ADCOS "www.adcos.nl"
The site is in dutch only, so it might take some study to understand what is on it :-)
This company sells toolmanagement systems which not only manages suppies and stuff, it has everythnig from archiving tools to pre_adjust tool chains for machines.
All offset data can be sent directly to the machinetool.
The system also has a complete library of materials and their cutting conditions for each type of tool.
All these data can be exported to .csv files an be used in VX to load the tool with tool id number, feeds and speeds and coolant options.
If only cutter data is required, one can also create a library of .csv files, one for each tool, and fill in the parameters manually.
These .csv files can be used to provide VX with all required cutter parameters like Chris explained in his message.

I will try to upload a few example .csv files, which can be modified in excell.
Regards,
Luurt
4CCCC
See also
X