CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Feature dissapeared, any ideas why?

Feature dissapeared, any ideas why?

Subscribe Topic

Mark

Message 1 of 6

Feature dissapeared, any ideas why?
18-06-2008 08:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I have been working on a file for a while.
Saved it.
Went to regen to a place in the history near the end.
half way through an 'edge extend' fails, cant find edge. On investigation 1 of 4 'surface mesh' fetures was not in the history.

I just cannot fathom out how this happened. I didnt edit this feature, it just disapeared.
Where I was working previously had dependencies on this so would have told me if it wasnt there.

Any ideas how this could have happened so I can avoid a repeat?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 6

18-06-2008 09:31 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hello theMIB

Check the History List to see if the lost mesh surface has been suppressed (feature is shown in brackets). If so, step-through the history and un-suppress the feature. VX will then probably complain about the feature, perhaps it cannot "find" an entity pick.

Mark

Message 3 of 6

18-06-2008 09:33 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, not it wasnt surpressed, just completely dissapeared.
I wasnt working in the area in the history where it is and as far as I recall I have never used 'delete' as opposed to erase ever.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 6

18-06-2008 09:49 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hello again the MIB

Sounds as though the file is potentially corrupted. Try this:

1) Use File/Save-As and save the file to a new, short name, in a folder away from the original file. Close the file and clear Session (if in use).

2) Re-load the original file. In the Part Object concerned, select Utilities/Recover faces. This command can take a while. In v12, it does not tell you what is happening unless it finds something, so choose a time when it can be left alone (say 30 minutes). In v13, it does tell you what is happening (can still take a long time to examine the database).

Mark

Message 5 of 6

18-06-2008 11:26 . am   |   View his/her posts only
No Joy with recover faces.
Only took 10 seconds.
File size 200mb

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 6

19-06-2008 03:07 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Then I think we have to assume that the surface is gone for good. A clean-up process would be wise:

1) Via Utilities/Config/General, ensure that VX Session Management is enabled.

2) Create a new empty VX file and save it to the hard drive. Do not close.

3) Open the original "problem file". At Root Object Level, select the Objects and click "Copy".

4) Via File, select the New File previously created (all files in a Session are listed). At Root Object Level in the New File, click "Paste".

5) Close the original file. Via Windows, zip-archive the original file and then delete it.

N.B. If there are many Objects or each Object is large, perform process 3-4 one-at-a-time.

Now the New File contains all of the Objects, test each Part Object with a history regen. If there are Sheet Layout Objects, their views will still be linked to the original Parts in the original file, so the views must be (right mouse click) re-directed to the Parts in the New File.

See also
X