CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > shutting down VX

shutting down VX

Subscribe Topic

Nick

Message 1 of 12

shutting down VX
02-09-2008 02:57 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello,

The thing I like about 13.55 is that when you shut down VX, it goes on and shuts down.

nick.

Paul

Message 2 of 12

02-09-2008 04:00 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Nick,
isn't that what you were expecting?

Cheers

cutter

Message 3 of 12

02-09-2008 07:35 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Nick, yes this is a really cool feature!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 12

02-09-2008 07:53 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
....nearly off topic but useful to know, MS Paint often does not shut down when you exit it (Windows XP, SP2/3). This can result in several Paint processes continuing to run (check the Task Manager), which hogs resources and thus can prevent other graphics programs from launching or running correctly.

Paul

Message 5 of 12

10-09-2008 04:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
If you liked V13.55 shutting down, (I thought exit meant exit, not save and exit), then 13.65 is stunning.
Exit, done. Great.
Cheers

Nick

Message 6 of 12

10-09-2008 10:50 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

Do you all use the cam side of VX? I was just wondering how many cam users are out there.

Cheers,

Nick.

(Kentucky,USA)

Paul

Message 7 of 12

10-09-2008 03:30 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Nick,
no, I am a Mold and Die user. I get the impression only a small number of users 'use' the forum.

I am ana alomst full time VX user so I check here often. No where else to go!
Cheers

cutter

Message 8 of 12

13-09-2008 02:14 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Nick, I use the cam side, 63 miles south of Nashville. Paul there was an attempt of sorts to start a VX forum on Engineering Tips a couple of years ago but it basicaly died for lack of interest. There are a few outdated tutorials out there such as ones found on "youtube" but other than that you are right, there is no other place than here and not many chime in. Dave

Nick

Message 9 of 12

13-09-2008 07:04 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you. Have you got SE going yet? I don't deal with the cad side of VX much, just some geometry creation. I'm back to trying to get the cam side up to speed. The speed of programming 2d stuff concerns me, and the finish on the 3D pieces we've machined so far hasn't impressed the guys in the shop. One suggestion a while back to rotate the orientation of the toolpath 45 degrees seemed pretty lame to me. I haven't tried any 3D yet in the current release -- I'm still slogging through a 2D stripper and trying to remember what goes where. There does seem to be a shortage of cam users on the forum. I do read you and Paul's posts (and all others) with interest. For now, if the heat's on, I still use Surfcam 2001. Maybe it's familiarity, I don't know. The company I work for had planned to use VX for cad and cam, but the engineering department decided not to use it. I was looking forward to utilizing feature recognition somewhat, but that's the way she goes. If you have any suggestions or questions, don't hesitate to throw them this way. I remember you mentioning a state user's meeting in Tennessee sometime back?

well, its back to the weekend!

Nick.

cutter

Message 10 of 12

15-09-2008 06:01 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Nick, Yes there was a users meeting about 2 months ago but they are not very frequent and in general the time seems to be really limited so your ability to get help at one is limited too. Nice social events though. Earl would be your local sales guy I would think and if you are not utilizing him for your cam questions you are missing a bet as he is very good. I can't tell you exactly why but yes the concensus among the good machinists I know is that a 45 degree path does yield smoother finishes in many cases so do not disregard that idea out of hand without trying it. There are tool paths in VX I have never tried yet for 3d as there are so many variables that I don't have the time to try them for small parts runs and usualy just end up going with the first one that seems decent. Perhaps the promised better documentation of v14 will help in this area. That is not an effective way of doing it I am sure but the time to experiment is a limited commodity when you don't have a lot of profit in a part or in your case where the boss is breathing down your neck.
It is hard to beat Surfcam for 2d and the only real complaints I have with them is their lack of a spiral out and the inability to control step over and feedrates into corners resulting in broken cutters or having to slow down the feedrate to compensate for this. These are however big issues in my book and are the direct reasons I started to consider other programs. [Surfcams HAAS post has been bullet proof for me over the years whereas VX's has been a big problem for me and others. What are you running and is VX posting OK for you?] The other is of course the compelling reason I bought VX for and that is to be able to work on the part and the cam side too in the same program, and yes that is a big deal. Surfcam does not do this well unless you want to consider the SW addon and open up that can of worms.
The VX 2d issue has been brought up before here in the forums and I believe that VX is aware that it is cumbersome to use and it is my hope this is an area they will address soon as it is a long standing problem of great import to job shops. I like what a user had to say to me in private correspondence when he said that his shop was kind of like a mash clinic where things had to happen fast as I could really relate to that.
Just a reflection on your engineering department [ and indeed may I say here engineering departments and users everywhere ] and the cad situation in general. Most people tend to be lazy and stick with something they allready know as the learning curve is for the most part done. Cad companies really count on this to keep their "captive" audience. VX is a complicated program to learn and if your engineering department is not FORCED to learn it they in all likelyhood never will. I know of paid for seats within 20 miles of where I live that remain unused because the cad and cam guys will not learn a new program if they can avoid it and so far they have done so. Unless someone like you learns it and can compel the owners through a display of the benefits to them to force the issue and make the engineers learn it you are probably not going to get anywhere. The owners also need to understand that the users are going to need a LOT more time than 2 days of classes to learn this stuff and if they treat their employees like idiots because they don't know it ALL after two days training they desrve to get all the resistance they are sure to get to anything new. I remember sitting in a class with some guys from a Nissan supplier and they were nervous about the whole issue as they stated that their bosses would expect them to implement the program IMMEDIATLY upon their return and it was just not going to happen that way. Now if there has been a real effort to learn VX and they decided not to use it, I would hope that you would communicate these problems to VX as they are not good at soliciting feedback and really need to hear from your company as to why it has not implemented VX.
In regards to SE. Have no real progress report for you as it will take time to learn it and this is probably not the place to talk at length about competing software. I mentioned SE here because I am/was very unhappy [actualy that day I was hot as a firecracker over some problems!] over long term unsolved problems and it was not my intent to start a thread on it. My email address is "fieldweld at hughes.net" if you wish to contact me direct on any of these topics. Good luck, Dave

Paul

Message 11 of 12

15-09-2008 05:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure how this relates to The 'shutting down VX' rave?.

However, here we are. I spent 4 years doing a 'fitting and turning' (millwright/machinist) apprenticeship. I also spent a year 4 years doing a Engineer technical certificate, 1 yr full time, the rest part time. Then years in the maintenance and heavy marine industry. I also spent a year 4 years doing a Engineer technical certificate, 1 yr full time, the rest part time.

Thinking on 3D from a design point of view is not easy, let alone having to learn a many faceted tool like 3D CAD software. My point - LEARNING to design is NOT an overnight process neither is learning ANY CAD program. If there is a shortcut, is watching others model - lots. Even so, this takes time as you have to then have the opportunity to practise.

So why do management folks think it's OK to take 4 years to learn how to spanner and machine, but a few days will make a designer proficient !!! The mind boggles at the logic or otherwise of that thinking, yet it is almost everywhere the same.

I hope Show'nTell is good, but more importantly, there needs to be LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of modelling examples available for it too work and some incentives for users to provide examples.

We will wait an see.

cutter

Message 12 of 12

15-09-2008 07:25 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
This is the morphing post but thats allright as we know where we are.
See also
X