machining holes

Subscribe Topic

Nick

Message 1 of 7

machining holes
11-09-2008 10:31 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello all,

I'm starting to machine a stripper plate in VX 13.65 and began by center drilling all holes. When adding the hole features to center drill, I pick all circles. Looking at the hole list, I see that all arcs on the part are selected. Is there any way to only pick circles? It seems like I saw somewhere in VX in the past where arcs and circles were treated differently... I'll have to check.

I've used a masking function in other softwares to pick holes by color, but with VX I can only include one color or exclude one color.

Any ideas on how to work around this? We very very rarely drill an arc.

I do like the fact that VX will drill concentric holes only one time. I think it used to drill every hole regardless?

thanks,

Nick.

PS During the course of programming this stripper I'll probably have a few more questions. I've got to start using this software.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

11-09-2008 01:10 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hello Nick

I'm a bit confused by your description. Could you upload your VX file for me to see?

Nick

Message 3 of 7

11-09-2008 01:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

Here is the file I'm working on. It's 2D stuff - that's mostly what we get if no 3D forms are involved.

thanks,

nick.

Nick

Message 4 of 7

11-09-2008 01:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,

Ray G. got me the answer for avoiding picking arcs for drilling - Add Feature -> Hole -> Min Angle.

I've been sending questions to both of you - should I just go with Ray first and then theforum if that doesn't work?

thanks,

nick.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 7

11-09-2008 04:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Nick

Your Technical Support chap/chapess would normally be your first port of call for help. If they do not have an answer, they refer it to a world-wide network of VX support staff (which includes myself). The forum is good starting point when the question has as much to do with the engineering itself as it does the software. However, a lot of questions of all kinds find their way on to the forum and I do my best to answer them all -sometimes people are unsure of what command to use so they can't ask a command specific question. Often, there will be a fellow customer out there who can offer the best solution via the forum and nobody is going to get bitten for asking apparently daft questions either.

Jianxin

Message 6 of 7

12-09-2008 08:31 . am   |   View his/her posts only
The optional input form has different options for you to manage the picking. When picking holes from arcs, please set Min Angle=360 to select close arcs. The arcs selected will have angles between Min Angle and Max Angle. You can also use Min Diameter and Max Diameter to select holes of different diameters.

Nick

Message 7 of 7

12-09-2008 04:35 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks, Jason

I can use any and all help I can get trying to get VX up to speed.

Holler any time,

nick.
See also
X