Boeing D6-51991

Subscribe Topic

Steve

Message 1 of 4

Boeing D6-51991
31-10-2008 10:20 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello

I have been asked by a customer if our shop conforms to the Boeing D6-51991 requirements. Specifically, we need to verify that our CAD software (VX) "accomplishes its intended function" when importing an IGES or STEP file that came from Boeing. Does anyone have any experience with this? In the past, we have simply done a manual verification of dimensions, comparing feature size in the VX files with the same features on the part drawing. However, I'm not sure how to accomplish this when there is no engineering drawing at all. I have heard of off-the-shelf software products that "verify" iges files. I believe the VX translator is as good any any other, though, and I can't see spending money on this.

Thanks

Steve

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

31-10-2008 11:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

The Boeing Spec D6-51991 is all about your documented procedures that are deployed to ensure all processes meet with Boeing's Digital Product Definition requirements. In that regard, Boeing expect you to ensure that digital data received from them is formally verified in accordance with your documented procedures, such that it is proven to be dimensionally correct. i.e. what is received matches what was sent, the engineering itself could of course be completely wrong :-)

So, the methods you have used before could satisfy the requirements of the spec, providing they are documented and there is a rigorous process in place that ensures the procedures are followed. Your procedures therefore are designed to check that your software (VX) has accomplished it's intended function - the accurate import-export of IGES data.

Steve

Message 3 of 4

31-10-2008 12:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris

What you suggest has always worked for us in the past. We are AS9100 certified, so we have procedures in place. However, there is no way for us to verify the accuracy of an IGES file if all we have is the IGES file. I suppose we could import the same file into several different CAD systems and manually verify a few dimensions. But I was wondering if the VX IGES translator has been through some kind of validity test with respect to this Boeing D6-51991 requirement.

Steve

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 4

31-10-2008 08:01 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

I know that sometime in the past the VX IGES translator has been tested for accuracy by a VX customer - supplier - customer aerospace partnership, but we (VX Corp) were not directly involved. I believe Boeing's spec is effectively an acknowledgment that digital data exchange is not perfect and therefore has to be verified. To that end for example, Boeing's 3D data, known as the MBD (Model Based Definition), includes 3D annotation of the part's dimensions. Therefore, the imported geometry can be checked against the annotation, no 2D engineering drawing would be required. Boeing is using Catia, there will be other non-geometry data which may or may not be needed by your company. I think that information can be delivered in PDF files. It can be delivered in STEP files too but very few applications can actually extract it.

You are working with a contractor rather than Boeing itself but Boeing expects all contractors and sub-contractors to work within their standards. I think your customer's question might possibly be based on their own misinterpretation of the Boeing requirements, but basically your answer to the question then is your company's AS9100 certification. Boeing should be formally informed of your appointment by your customer and a Boeing team of inspectors will visit your premises to perform a lengthy audit of your procedures.
See also
X