CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > "Ionic capital and column" modeled similar to those at the Temple of E

"Ionic capital and column" modeled similar to those at the Temple of E

Subscribe Topic

Randy

Message 1 of 4

"Ionic capital and column" modeled similar to those at the Temple of E
27-03-2009 12:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I thought you might find these VX renderings of our latest project interesting. Probably not a common use for VX but if a customer wants to pay for it we'll make it.
This is an ionic capital and column modeled similar to those at the Temple of Erechtheus on the Acropolis in Athens.
The entire part was modeled as components in VX. The palmetto design around the 'neck' was scanned into a point cloud and surfaced in VX then exported to IGES. We wrapped it to the radius in Rhino and imported back to VX.

Each part is being machined and assembled to make a complete wooden pattern.
From that we will create rubber molds for cast stone parts.
Needless to say we have a lot of hours in the model but this is still faster and more accurate than modeling by hand.

Randy

Paul

Message 2 of 4

28-03-2009 01:43 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Randy,
VERY impressive modeling.

I am curious why you had to use Rhino? Are the morph and pattern tools not up to the task?

I bet you have learnt a lot on this - any tips you can pass on?

Cheers
Paul

Randy

Message 3 of 4

30-03-2009 10:09 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Paul,
I have some experience with bending features in Rhino so it was just easier for me.
The bead and "egg and dart" features were indexed with patterns in VX which worked out nicely.
I'll have to let someone else speak for VX morph. I haven't really used it much.

As far as tips... I think I could use more than give them. File size became an issue because my components are in one file.
File and save times and generating the assembly were a bit slow. I could use some advice on that.

This particular style of capital was new to me so needless to say a little thing called the internet was a great resource.

Randy

Paul

Message 4 of 4

02-04-2009 01:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Randy,
Chris W could probably give more advice re file size/subcomponent etc. management.

The file save time issue is really a hardware thing.
I have recently built a new PC and made an interesting discovery(new to me at least).

I have set up a RAID array using a single drive and a second drive. (My MOBO uses Intel Raid so I do not know if other systems support this.)

Basically you can create identical two size partitions (and other partitions as well) on a single big drive and use them as a RAID 0.
I have set up the RAID zero drive as my working drive, then have this mirrored via RAID 1 to the seperate drive. The down side is that setting up RAID is best doen at system build.

What it means is I have data redundancy AND RAID 0 speed using only two drives. RAID 5 is an option but my PC is as 'green' as possible and uses low power components where possible.
On read & write tests the R0 drive is about twice the speed of the R1 or any other drive. This means both opening and saving files is substantially faster.

Cheers
See also
X