CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Great interface with suggestions...

Great interface with suggestions...

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 5

24-04-2009 06:15 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
(Oops same problem as Chris before me!)

As I have commented elsewhere I keep an awareness of what other CAD vendors are offering, after all the grass is always greener, (careful) .

IMO VX has a really neat Interface.
It is amongst the least cluttered and crowded I have seen.
The commands have a simple yet effective style for comprehensive control of whats happening

Much of the alternatives in comparison, have huge numbers of Icons and options to learn and use.

I really like the new style V14 command windows (swept rod, domes) with the schematic representation of how the fields are applied, a sort of permanent help. It should be so for every command. I hope this is being done for all???? Big job but definitely worth it.

In my next post, I'll list some firther suggestions re interface that would a really nice improvement for me. These are things that I see as obvious improvements every day.

Cheers

Paul

Message 2 of 5

24-04-2009 06:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Interface suggestions.

I think there are a number of opportunities to dramatically reduce the number of clicks using the interface and masively improve the user experience.

Example 1: RMB, Insert Part - cool - The Interface should intuitively/automatically switch the active command Tab selection to Assembly. Simple but saves me looking for the tab, then clicking EVERY time I insert a part after doing something else.
The same effect could be used in numerous other similar cause and effect situations.

Example 2: Auto dropping Icons. It is traditional to indicate the presence of further similar options with a little drop down arrow on the tool bar. Why should I have to click that at all, it should automatically drop down as I hover over it for more than a few milli seconds (user defined speed here please) so I just click on the particular command I need. If it's the orignally vivible one I might have already clicked before the drop down. Either way is makes no difference to the mouse movement but eliminates a huge amount do clicks.

Example 3: Filters are a very important part of working. I am sure there is a better way of accessing these on the fly. Shift RMB is good I wonder if Spacebar alone would be better and perhaps a more compact window - two columns? (I like text descriptors rather than trying to interpreat Icons. Auto drop down would actually be a BIG help and maybe sufficient for starters.

Example 4: Xross section view needs to remember the last settings when you return to a model instead of having to open the dialogue each time. I am switching between parts and find the this has reset between part open states. ALSO - when I choose Cross Section/ display, the the tool tab should switch to TOOLS so the display management dialogue is instantly accessible as per Example 2.

Example 5: Related to Ex..2, the display of Icons on a tool bar should not change between actions. Otherwise the visual clues become lost. I have spent ages looking for a command I new was there, but did not use often, because the clue Icon was hidden. The apparent need to change is removed when AutoDrop down is present.

Now I know appreciate you folks have spent many hours figuring out how it should work. These suggestions are just refinements of what I think is a fine interface.

That's my bit for now.
(A one man user group)
Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 5

24-04-2009 07:48 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Some nice ideas there mudcrab. There has been constant debate about whether a selected drop-down icon should then remain on top. My vote would be for a Config option so that the User could choose but that might be a tricky one to code. Auto drop-down icon menus sounds good - if we do that, they should stay down for a pre-determined length of time (config setting) and then dismiss, or dismiss on icon selection. I have used software where the auto-drop down also auto dismisses and you have to be too careful with the mouse-over.

With regards to the filtering for 3D, it is due an overhaul. Will be a big job because there are so many filters built (context sensitive). It would be nice to be able to filter to more than one element type for picking too, as you can in 2D Layout.

Paul

Message 4 of 5

25-04-2009 10:38 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Agreed on both comments.

Autodrop does almost need user management of the time delays (hysteresis) each end in the same way a mouse click rate or cursor speed is managed. This especially for experienced users who make these choices very quickly. Or maybe not - Open on hover (user speed controlled) stays open until command selected OR anther command hovered or selected.

The context sensitive filter options are fantastic and ubiquitous so lots of places to be redone - if that really needed doing.

If you go multi filter, how about eliminating the tick boxes and use the Descriptors as buttons (saves screen space, bigger target), RMB over descriptor is a multipick, and exit occurs last pick with LMB.
Lone LMB equals single filter pick and zeros all previous picks. Best of both worlds. Alternatively Shift(or similar) + LMB indicates multipick, click anywhere in the dialogue window other than a button = exit.
Compacting the dialogue boxes is good as long but don't make them squitty.

Another really neat VX thing is being able to add selections to a just defined event using Redefine Last. I often do this with blanking if I miss something, Redefine Last, change filter, select ,move on. Saves history lines - really cool.

Cheers

robinz7909

Message 5 of 5

29-10-2013 10:50 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
here is a great selection of icons http://megaicons.net/
See also
X