CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > VX For MAC OS?????????????

VX For MAC OS?????????????

Subscribe Topic

CoatesyD

Message 1 of 11

VX For MAC OS?????????????
12-08-2009 08:19 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I use VX at work on a highly specced XP Pro machine....... works well for me

At home i got an even higher spec Macbook pro which would be amazing to have VX on, now before people suggest loading windows on a partition on my mac i have done that already, thats not the point, the point is with alot of design types prefering MAC OS to windows dont you think 1) VX should be available for it and 2) VX would make mucho $$$$$$ in the process

( yes point 2 was a subtle hint to VX admin ;-) )

David

Message 2 of 11

12-08-2009 09:00 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Another option to running Bootcamp on the Mac with XP is to install Wine and try and run it under there:

http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

It will likely require some tweaking, but Wine runs Windows Apps much faster than a Bootcamp partition and you can use it simultaneously with OS X.

Only problem then, is you're on your own as far as Support goes. I wouldn't want to rely on that for a Production install, but for playing around on at home it might work well.

Steve

Message 3 of 11

12-08-2009 11:09 . am   |   View his/her posts only
VX doesn't work under darwine the last time I tried.
It RUNS, but anything graphics, is hosed, and doesn't display.

Mike

Message 4 of 11

12-08-2009 11:20 . am   |   View his/her posts only
The following was sent to me by a reseller in Europe:

"I am not using vmfusion on bootcamp for running vx. Simply I installed xp and vx after, and it works perfect!

I am also using paralels for mac if I don't want to reset from mac os
This way i can start xp from mac without restart ... as a window!"
--------
I know this doesn't address VX running on natively on MAC. We have talked about it and I thank you for your input. I will pass it along.

CoatesyD

Message 5 of 11

07-09-2009 09:52 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Being pretty inexperienced in the ways of programming etc is it a major development / redesign to VX to get it to work on MAC OS? is it not possible to simply convert VX to run or am i now being sniggered at by developers / programmers ????

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 11

07-09-2009 11:26 . am   |   View his/her posts only
The two OS's have different architectures, so VX would have to be written specifically to run on MAC OS. In the past, VX was available on both Windows and Unix. Double platforms though practically double the cost of building and testing the product, so the MAC would have to offer something truly outstanding to make it a must-have platform - basically so marvelous that PC Users migrate to the MAC in their millions. I don't think that will happen this year.......

cutter

Message 7 of 11

07-09-2009 02:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Coatesy, Just curious as to why you want to run VX on a Mac? I did some comparison shopping every time I bought and I could always get a laptop from Dell Outlet with better components by far and at half the price of the Mac. I am not sure how much of VX has a dependency on Windows to operate either. SE for instance uses Excel to do a lot of things and there is no substitute for it as the program is designed to use it. I know NX has just started supporting Macs but I dont know the specifics so I suppose it is possible to do but I wonder how they work around things like Excel. Now if you want to just to say you have it on a Mac thats OK as it is your money but CadCam stuff is written ten times as much for Windows as it is for Macs, or more. Tons of free utilities do not run on Macs either so you give up an auful lot to do this. Perhaps one day it will not be this way but it is right now. I am certain that like the perennial Linux question that surfaces here there is just no market share in Macs to justify developement.

CoatesyD

Message 8 of 11

24-09-2009 08:48 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Its quite simply that i prefer my mac to a windows pc. So a little selfish i'd admit.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 11

14-10-2009 07:20 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Something the Mac owners need to know:

Snow Leopard bug deletes all User data

dd

Message 10 of 11

15-10-2009 02:29 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I'm successfully using VX under Win XP installed on a Mac and have no complaint. In the same time I consider MAC OS the best OS I ever used, that's why a VX MAC version would be welcome and I think there are A LOT of designers using only MAC and MAC OS based applications.
As I know, at this moment there is no fully integrated CAD/CAM software (as VX is) on the market and a lot of users waiting for such a solution.
D.

Tim

Message 11 of 11

10-12-2009 03:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
How about on Linux under Wine or one of the VM?
See also
X