CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > scary lathe question

scary lathe question

Subscribe Topic

cutter

Message 1 of 8

scary lathe question
30-09-2009 07:35 . am   |   View his/her posts only
There has been persistant rumors that at some point in time we will see cam for lathe in VX. What if any news is there on this?

Mike

Message 2 of 8

01-10-2009 10:11 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Cutter, If we made an announcment here that would take all the thunder out of any official announcment that the company may like to make in the future. So for purposes of this forum let us agree to table this discussion. We do not have lathe!

Steve

Message 3 of 8

cutter

Message 4 of 8

02-10-2009 10:36 . am   |   View his/her posts only
See, I WAS right. It IS a scary question!!!!!!!!

Robert

Message 5 of 8

06-10-2009 12:24 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hey Dave,

As Mike said, no lathe this year but maybe in 2010.

I've actually seen some of our lathe in action but it needs a lot (read A LOT) of GUI work.

Sorry to disappoint.

bobf

cutter

Message 6 of 8

09-10-2009 05:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Bob,
Number one reason why I don't recommend VX to machine shops I know is that there is no lathe side to cam. I am one of the very few shops in the area without a cnc lathe, a problem I hope to correct this coming year, and so this has not been a problem for me YET. But for the other shops who can buy packages with the lathe there along side the mill this has been a killer. "Does it have lathe" I am asked. Well no is all I can say and that stops any further talking dead in it's tracks and is why I don't bring it up anymore to people who could have been your customers. I have no actual survey basis for the following statement but my gut feeling is that over 75% of all shops with cnc include turning and these will in all likelyhood never be your customers until this is addressed. When I get my lathe I have to sit down a ponder cam programs again and do I want to run 2 different cam aps or do I want to find one that does both. At this time I am not sure what my answer will be but I probably have a year before this happens so I can wait. In this tough sale environment your company has really hurt itself by not making the decision to allready have lathe in with mill. I know Delcam does not have lathe but I can't think of any others without.

Paul

Message 7 of 8

14-10-2009 05:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hey Steve,
you ever tried clocking up on the Ttttable (my ooops) after you've turned it over?
And what about objects longer than say your pinky....?
Kinda like to see how you do that?
Post a Youtube link...

Steve

Message 8 of 8

14-10-2009 06:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
clocking up on the able?
Sorry, I don't understand that.
Hey, I've "turned" stuff on the mill about... oh say the length of my hand... At least that's longer than my pinky
But I certainly wouldn't want to do that crankshaft on a lathe. That's the reason I do these. The crank on an air cooled Buell engine is pressed together. The rods STAY attached. It's a major pita, and hardly nobody disassembles those cranks. But for racing applications, they need to lighten them. It was a scary sight seeing how they USED to do them!

See also
X