CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > can I make this faster?

can I make this faster?

Subscribe Topic

cutter

Message 1 of 8

can I make this faster?
21-11-2009 03:55 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
One of my families of parts are tubes with gobs of holes in them for in line filters for food service. Recently I had one with 3,060 2MM holes in them. Everything goes OK in VX intil the last pattern command where I want to take a row of holes and extrude remove additional rows around centerline. I quit waiting after around 25 minutes for this to finish and it was still not done. In SE the same process on the same box took about 6 minutes. Is there a method for doing this in VX I am not aware of that would speed this up? Before this suggestion comes up no, circles imposed on a surface is not good enough as I need 3D parts in assemblies that I can show customers and what they see is exactly what the part will be holes and all. My customers like to see "real" parts where I can zoom in on the holes for instance and since it sells more work for me it is important to do this.
On occasion there are odd numbers of rows so diviving the pattern up into quarters or eigths is not an answer either.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 8

21-11-2009 05:57 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi cutter

I won't be the only one that does not understand what you mean about the region where VX fails
A VX file would be good, with a STEP file from SE showing what the finished part should look like.

cutter

Message 3 of 8

22-11-2009 12:10 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,
These are large files and that is why it's not posted. When I do an extrude remove for one row of holes using the centerline, say a line of 2mm holes with 54 in that row, that is the first step and that works fine. Tube diameter is od = 2.35" and id= 2.15". The next step which is the problem is when I create a circular pattern about centerline for the additional 47 rows of holes. It takes a VERY long time for this command to finish and any subsequent changes are just as problematic so I am looking for a way to reduce the time VX takes to do this. SE takes like 6 minutes to do this and VX takes over 25 minutes to do this. I still do some work in VX for cad and all of my cam so this is a bottleneck I would like to solve. I am not sure how to better explain this short of sending you a great big file.
Dave

Paul

Message 4 of 8

22-11-2009 02:51 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,
2,530 holes as I read it.

Instead of modelling the tube, do a cross section sketch and make a 1/47th segment centered about vertical. I dimensioned the first line angle using 360/94 then for the angle between the two segment lines 2*the first angle dimension. Let the software do all the calcs. Trace the segment and extrude.
Do one hole sketch and extrude as a base then copy the remaining 53. Shape remove to make the holes. Remove the sides of the segment. (This is perhaps a minor speed diff. didn't stopwatch to see how much) Then pattern the 47 segments.
Shape combine.
Rebuild time less than 30 secs but a bit dependent on graphics card.
For the whole part, you might do the segment and holes then complete the rest of the end detail etc before the pattern and combine. This way the rebuild will be fast until you're done.
I'll send you the bill for the time saving x, say, 20 rebuilds.
Cheers

File added (V13) Unsuppress the last part of the history - just reducing file size.

cutter

Message 5 of 8

22-11-2009 03:35 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,
Yes your right on the hole count. I was thinking of another tube and just figuring this one was less without actualy doing the math. Would you send me the file? I am very interested in this as it is a way that has not been suggested to me before.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 8

22-11-2009 06:20 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi cutter

OK. How about this: Construction time approx 1 minute. Hole patterns, 54 x 48 (= 2592), max 10 seconds. File size only 1.46MB (attached).

cutter

Message 7 of 8

23-11-2009 07:33 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,
Interesting concept. Is there a way to merge all the segments and end up with a cylinder? Why does VX allow this kind of geometry to be created quickly but wont allow me to do it the way I originaly posted as a problem quickly? Your way still has all the holes and the added ring segments and goes faster but has more overall data as an end result it would seem to me.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 8

23-11-2009 07:52 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Cutter

The model is using the VX Assembly Component technology. The Model is "light" because the Component geometry is display-only in Assembly. Any component can be edited by double-click through via the assembly. Can all the disks be merged into one cylinder? Yes they can, and VX does that pretty quickly too. From the Shape Tab, click on Component Merge(7th button from the right). In the Options Panel, select 'Base' and then select the first disk in the row. The component is merged into the current Part Space and is now a solid that can be modified independently of the original Component. Repeat the command, but this time select 'Add' in the options panel and in the graphics window right-mouse-click 'select all' to pick all components. They are all merged into the current Part Space and Boolean joined to make a single solid. This is fast, but it isn't necessary for CAM, which will cut the Component assembly as-is. It's this type of thing that really shows the power of the VX kernel. I tried a similar thing in Catia on a motor vehicle part, could not complete the model.
See also
X