CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Problems with overheating computers.

Problems with overheating computers.

Subscribe Topic

ChrisWard2k2

Message 1 of 14

Problems with overheating computers.
10-03-2010 06:23 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Nvidia graphics driver release 196.75

According to Nvidia, there is a bug in the very latest 196.75 driver which may cause fan speed issues, possibly resulting in overheating of the computer and its hardware. Users who have installed the 196.75 driver are recommended to return to the 196.21 drivers until Nvidia is able to correct the issue.

cutter

Message 2 of 14

11-03-2010 11:16 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Don't forget the dust bunnies to. I don't know where all that junk comes from but it will sure accumulate.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 14

11-03-2010 11:59 . am   |   View his/her posts only
If you invest in a modern case, dust can't make it's way past the filters, but you do need to clean the filters periodically - I vacuum mine when I clean the floor

Paul

Message 4 of 14

11-03-2010 01:12 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Dust bunnies eh! Didn't know what they were called.

I don't vacuum, I use compressed air about every 4 months. I stop the fans from spinning whilst blowing them off.
Means disconnecting and taking to the workshop but also gets rid of any spiders etc.

Last machine which had a heat prone AMD CPU lasted 5 years before the caps finally gave up.

Case used to live on the floor but the new PC lives about 600mm above and whilst it has 6 fans it just doesn't collect as many dust bunnies. Maybe 70% less.

Keeping the PC clean is always a good idea.

Cheers
Paul

cutter

Message 5 of 14

11-03-2010 02:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I'm a cheapskate Chris. I get whatever is close to what I want from the Dell refurb site so the only customisation on my cases are the dirt patterns. Spiders huh Paul? you don't have the bad news ones the Aussies have do you?

Paul

Message 6 of 14

11-03-2010 02:34 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,
nup. our spiders are largely harmless except for the WEB stuff which gets a bit messy in amongst the wiring and all.

My guess is that whilst filters collect dust but pose the real risk of cutting off the air supply once they are dirty.

I think the coolest idea is dumping the whole lot in an aquarium full of non conductive oil and presumably oil fish. No more dust, spider or bunnie problems. Just a bit messy when it comes to inserting a DVD.... maybe that could float on a raft/rig platform.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 14

11-03-2010 04:48 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
...but Dell is not necessarily so cheap, self-build and you get more grunt for less money. The main thing is function over style - many desktop PCs have smaller cases than they should, so they get hot within ten minutes of use and the fans have to work hard to keep the temperature down. If I had the time, I'd make my own case, they should be designed by mechanical engineers but that does not seem to be......

Paul

Message 8 of 14

11-03-2010 05:17 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I'm with you on that Chris.

A for instance. I had two green goals building my current PC (two years ago)
I wanted quiet and low power consumption.
I bought an empty Cooler Master ATX case which is supposedly quiet. Fitted a Enermax green power supply 'cos it met both objectives. (and am very happy with it.)

The case was fitted with large dia. 'slow speed' fans. But when it was all going it had a wicked hum/wine which was coming from one side fan in particular. The fan itself was quited when removed from the case.
In investigation, the fancy honeycomb mesh pattern punched into the case for ALL fan air paths has a LOT of sharp edges (punch flash) and corners. The airflow over these is very turbulent and the cause of all the noise. Solution was to relocate fan to a position with a secondary mesh in front of it which slows the velocity over the sharp edges.

Now in my designer/engineer boots I wonder if Cooler master have any idea about airflow since they are making thousands of cases with inherently noisy airflow characteristics.
A properly designed case should not require 6 fans to run it. 3 (CPU, Graphics and case.) should be OK!

On the other hand, Notebook manufacturers spend immense time trying to get good thermal performance as it is the killer problem.

Cheers

Kevin

Message 9 of 14

11-03-2010 06:00 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Now now Chris. Some of us here are involved in case design. Different manufacturers do it in different ways. Probably the best chassis on the market are HPs workstations and Apple' Mac pros (yes I own both). Both are very quiet and very robust with excellent servicability. Certainly in HP's case they use a lot of FEA flow analysis to optimise the fans, and I imagine Apple do the same. You might get more bang for the buck with self build but there are a hell of a lot of crap components out there and you don't always get what you pay for. Personally for work use I buy Dell laptops, HP workstations and laptops and Apple desktops and laptops. The worst PC I have owned for reliability was a SGI Visual NT workstation - it had 3 motherboards in 3 years - the warranty was damn good though!

PS. Mudcrab, Apple's G5 desktops had 16 fans. I have one on my office desk that has been running for 7 years every day all day. I have never cleaned the insides.

Paul

Message 10 of 14

11-03-2010 09:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Aaaaah yes Kevin,
if my PC didn't have to operate nearly in the great outdoors it might not collect dust either.
We are a little bit native here and do not filter our air before breathing it. No air con units for miles.
If dust is present then it will collect inside a PC - it is sticky, well at least the stuff here is.

With 16 fans, does it hover over the desk top blowing all the dust away?

Cheers
Paul

Kevin

Message 11 of 14

12-03-2010 03:30 . am   |   View his/her posts only
You've obviously not been to my office then :-)

Air con? What's that? Some new scheme to charge for breathing? The Mac sits on a desk on the 3rd floor of a 200 year old building that has crumbling plaster, paper everywhere, right in the middle of a busy town with buses and a big car park outside. In winter it is freezing, in summer (due to the large windows) it is like sitting in a furnace on a sunny day. There is a lot of dust! But for some reason the Mac seems to handle it well. Interestingly enough the Dell Workstation I've just put out to pasture was much dustier after 5 years in more or less the same location. I think when it comes to cases, bigger is better!

cutter

Message 12 of 14

12-03-2010 11:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
It may be that Dell handles itself differently in UK and NZ. I know some of the Aussies complain bitterly at the SE forums about Dell not letting them shop the the refurb site. I will grant you the precision 490 I have is a bit noisy. But when I bought it I could not even buy the graphics card and the xeon cpu/ mobo combo for the same price as the whole unit much less the rest of it and the OS. $200.00 gets me 3 year everything warranty on all components and another $100.00 gets me 3 year real english speaking certified tech support. Laptops are even more expensive to duplicate than workstations. All in all for me the best route is to buy it from the refurb site where the worst case scenario is I spend the same money as the self builder but get warranties and support to boot. The thrill of spending more money and having to do it myself to boot does not excite me.

Kevin

Message 13 of 14

12-03-2010 11:39 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Same here. I buy Dell outlet when I buy Dell. Picked up a very nice Precision M60 some years back with a 5 year warranty for under

Paul

Message 14 of 14

13-03-2010 02:36 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin,
throw out the heavy metal on all those old bits and leave them just with the fans. Then using one power supply, connect all the fans. Now you have a tethered, unless one of the laptops has enough battery ooomph, hoverboard for scooting around the office just avoiding the obviously dusty floor. Of course you'll need a filter on your snout! which is the modern look anyway.(in China)
Perhaps if you are really cunning you could make it into a automated hoovering device.
Cheers
See also
X