CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > sketch problems....

sketch problems....

Subscribe Topic

smd

Message 1 of 9

sketch problems....
14-03-2010 10:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Has anyone else expierienced this........when editing a sketch all of a sudden I cant highlight, access, work lines I've justb put there? It's not consistant meaning I cant create the problem, but when it does happen it's a permanant issue till I shut down VX and reboot.....i can exit the sketch, go thru the history and try to redit, but problem persists till I shut down. mind you it doesn't happen often, but once in a while .......anyone else seen this? Scott

Paul

Message 2 of 9

14-03-2010 02:54 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin,
Does this occur at the beginning of the day or the towards the latter part?
I have found that from time to time, not reconstructable, VX will start to behave in odd ways.
Rebooting always fixes the problem. The longer you run, the more likely to a problem is to occur.
This suggests to me that the problem actually lies outside VX in that Windows get's redundant bits left in memory or somewhere.
I run a memory optimizer that seems to make quite a difference (in XP).

I have friend who has run SWX for years. He insists that disk defrags and other house keeping issues need to be attended to daily! in order to keep it all running sweetly. No everyone is as paranoid as he is...

So the starting to palce is make sure all the housekeeping up to date.

Cheers

cutter

Message 3 of 9

15-03-2010 09:08 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Which version?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 9

15-03-2010 09:49 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Good housekeeping is always...good.

The symptoms suggest that prior to the problem you see, VX became unstable via another issue which perhaps you can't see any evidence of - first port of call is to drop-down the message window.

If running v14, via config, Files tab, insert a short name for the Session journal e.g. "My_Journal.txt". This file will record all the messages and is an especially good source of information should VX crash or lock-up, which seems to be what you are seeing.

I have come across problems self-caused by ex AutoCad Users. It seems that AutoCad allows you to use it's trim commands to, at times, delete an entity entirely. What is actually happening is that you now have entities of zero length that you can't see and can't pick graphically.........

smd

Message 5 of 9

15-03-2010 07:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hmm, It's version 14.2. And it's arbitrary...the drop menu that tell all doesn't acknowledge that anythings gone awry....i can add text lines, but not go back and work ones i've just put in the sketch, seems it happens after i've been doing selecting them in large bunches? I wish I could get it to recreate , but do believe the problem may lie outside the vx.....

Mike

Message 6 of 9

16-03-2010 08:33 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hey just curious; Are you using Ready Text on the Ready Sketch toolbar?

In your first entry, it sounded like you were working with lines. In your last entry you mentioned text.

Before going on I want to be clear what entities you are having trouble with.

You know you can call me and we can do an online meeting so I can see exactly what is happening.

smd

Message 7 of 9

16-03-2010 01:54 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike! Yes this does involve the use of ready text, and now that you mention I think this problem only happens to the ready text....If the stars are all in alignment sometime, i'll be able to catch you when it's happening, but I don't do alot of cad work durin the daytime.....

Mike

Message 8 of 9

17-03-2010 06:01 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Scott,

The Ready Text tool does an automatic "Explode" on the text then erases the original text. The second you hit OK, your text is converted to lines and arcs.

Now that we have narrowed down the problem to text, you should be able to reproduce this anytime.

I will fight to get an option put back (Yes, it was there before) that gives the user the option to delete the text or not. This will make it easier to edit the text instead of always having to recreate it.

smd

Message 9 of 9

17-03-2010 09:31 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Umm, shouldn't I be able to scale, trim, etc the lines/arcs?? That's where the problem lies......I cant access them sometimes.....
See also
X