CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > VX integration with Solidworks?

VX integration with Solidworks?

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 10

VX integration with Solidworks?
22-03-2010 02:33 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I would like to know whether there would be a translator that allows the import of history trees from Solid Works?

I am wondering whether models imported could be walked through to prevent having to make something from scratch.

Mike

Message 2 of 10

22-03-2010 02:57 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Paul,

There is no translator that I know of that will import another system's history. However, VX v15 will have a Direct Edit capability. So we will be able to import an IGES, STEP or ParaSolid and directly edit the part. Offset faces, change fillet radii, move features, etc.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 10

22-03-2010 03:00 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hello Paulverisor

I think unlikely. The full format of the propriety database of almost all CAD systems is a commercial secret. This is true of both SW and VX. One fear is that if you do publish absolutely all your info, a rival or an upstart company can produce a "clone" application and undercut you in the market. If VX could produce verbatim SW files, nobody would need to buy SW. So, the fullest exchange of information between two rival applications is a rare thing. It is possible to achieve via a dedicated STEP flavour, which would require a contribution of sensitive information by both parties (or at least, people in the know).

An alternative would be for the receiving system to have a code mechanism that recognizes model features during the import, and builds the model feature-by-feature (thus yielding a history list), instead of describing the whole model as one single "lump". Various CAD apps have tried to do this, currently it requires a lot of User input and often the User is unfamiliar with the geometry and thus does not have an answer to questions the system might pose. An alternative to this alternative is to have all the geometry imported first, then have the User interactively identify features to build a history. That has a better chance of good results, but requires a lot of User time and effort.

Finally, perhaps the best solution, would be for the User to be able to identify a feature on the model should it be necessary to modify it's dimensions, or perhaps swap it with a different feature (of different profile or shape).

Paul

Message 4 of 10

23-03-2010 07:31 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thank you all for your response.

I am curious whether it is possible to import a feature tree from other softwares other than Solidworks?

I have never actually used direct translators before but isn't that what they do? I have an attachment which shows import options for VX. Solidworks is not there but other CAD softwares are.

Presently I will bring in a customer model; untrim surfaces and try to duplicate the surfaces. This is very tediuos but at times I can achieve a perfect match. Sometimes the evidence of the base geometry is removed so I don't know how to drive the geometry. I find that lofting is very difficult to match up with the parent model. I find that locked jobs with lofts come together very differently.

Is there good ways to take an imported model back to the base shapes which filleting and features are applied over top of.

The customer provides the finished shape. I need to build a pre-form off of this.

Would purchasing a direct translator add on achieve this?

I see that version 15 will have some interesting ways to tweak imported IGES files.

It appears what I am looking for is possible between Solidworks and other software such as MasterCAM.

Mike

Message 5 of 10

23-03-2010 01:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Paul,

There are direct translators out there. All that means is they don't use something like IGES or Parasolids as an intermediate step. You still won't get the history as Chris pointed out.

In V15 we are including Transmagic and it is scheduled to include SolidWorks and Innovator.

PS in 14.3 there is a new STEP and ParaSolid import option, "Sew unique parts". It can make a big difference. The next step is to make it a default option.

Mike

Message 6 of 10

23-03-2010 01:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Paul,

To take a model back to basics we do have a Simplify command. It is under the Combine Shape ison on the Shapes toolbar.

The image you sent showing the History option "Import" ... do you know what the different option do?

Does anyone need a tutorial?

Paul

Message 7 of 10

23-03-2010 03:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Mike: What caught my eye in the import panel was the word history prior to import. I guess this was just wishful thinking that you might be able bring in a file to include it's design tree. I called Jarrod and he straightened me out. We've never purchased the direct translators before and I wasn't sure.

I believe our parts would be too complicated for the Simple command. It would be great if something like that would work though.

It does sound as if there is many promising improvements and additions for translators in the near future.

cutter

Message 8 of 10

24-03-2010 10:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
If the direct modeling in V15 is good enough you won't have to worry about history trees anymore. When I bring parts or assemblies into SE this is never a concern and I can isolate parts in the assembly easily and start doing whatever I wish to any parts immediatly and history free. By the way, if I was going to buy a seat of anything to go with VX it would be SE and not SW as the freedom to work on anyones geometry without history is a tremendous advantage. If anything the advantage to this is greater than that of a common kernal for cad and cam in the same package. I own both and hate the yearly fees but I am glad to have them.

Yeah I know SWX has a big user community but that does not make their software better.

For those of you who have never used a direct modeler you are in for a real treat with V15 if it turns out to be as usefull as SE's has been. Now if they would just fix that rotten sheet metal aspect of VX maybe I could someday soon go back to just one program.

Mike

Message 9 of 10

21-12-2011 01:09 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Dave,

V16 (2012) does answer a couple of your sheet metal requests. Due out March 1st, you will be able to add flanges on adjacent edges at an angle other than 90 and close the corner. You can add a flange with 0 bend radius. 15.2 (2011 sp2) added the option of adding a flange by specifying the length or the height (measured from the bottom of the base shape.) 15.1 We also added the option of adding more than one flange at a time. The Flange length can be zero.

cutter

Message 10 of 10

21-12-2011 01:50 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Mike, allways appreciate your time. Wishing you the best for Christmas, New Years and this coming year.
See also
X