CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Graphical solver for those difficult jobs

Graphical solver for those difficult jobs

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 10

Graphical solver for those difficult jobs
29-03-2010 02:11 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi all,
This is not a VX rave, rather a link to a really useful, if you need it that is, addon for designers.
It is a graphical spreadsheet called Graphicalc.

There are some good demo videos on the site. I think it is impressive stuff.

Graphical Website

Cheers

cutter

Message 2 of 10

30-03-2010 01:39 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Paul,
Deelips blog today had some more info on this topic. There was a pdf file there to and if you wish I will send it to you if you can't find the article.
Dave

Kevin

Message 3 of 10

30-03-2010 01:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am sure VX has a lot of this type of stuff built in? Chris help me out here. I am sure I have seen a goal seek video demo in VX......

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 10

30-03-2010 02:05 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi All,

The VX "Design Optimizer" has much of this functionality built-in. It is capable of solving many goal seek problems and it works directly with dimensions, variables and equations. There is a tutorial in Chapter 8 of the Advanced modeling training guide. This could be a good topic for a new Show-n-Tell.

Learn more about Design Optimizer (Available in VX Designer and Higher) before buying graphicalc.

Thanks,

Jarrod Schmidt

Paul

Message 5 of 10

30-03-2010 02:57 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Jarrod,
yeap good tutorial.

Design Optimiser (DO) only works in 3D. Or so it appears. This is what put me off the trail for while.

To use it in 2D which is where I was interested, you need to exit the Sketch then you can DO can be used to pick the dimension/s in the sketch.

I had assumed you would use it inside the sketch.

The fact that it can be used in 2D is not covered in the manual - perhaps you can do this now we have the good sketcher with predicatable outcomes!
Now I know I can access DO for 2D it will meet most of my requirements in check motion options.

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 10

30-03-2010 03:08 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
mudcrab,

You are most correct. It would be good to put a note in our Advanced Training Guide to indicate that you simply need to exit sketch to run DO on 2D stuff. I will email this thread to Mike Lynch, so he can make sure this gets updated.

For those of you that do not want to download the entire advanced training guide here is a link to Chapter 8 PDF - Design Optimizer

Jarrod

Kevin

Message 7 of 10

30-03-2010 03:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
That's the one! Thanks Jarrod.

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 10

04-05-2010 11:55 . am   |   View his/her posts only
We posted a new Show-n-Tell tutorial for Design Optimizer today.

It covers the basics of naming dimensions, working with multiple parameters and making modifications to imported files. The tutorial has 3 Labs and is setup, so you can skip over some tasks and get right to Design Optimizer.

Download the new Design Optimizer - Show-n-Tell

I am confident that you will find this tutorial profitable.

Enjoy.

Jarrod

Paul

Message 9 of 10

05-05-2010 03:42 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Jarrod,
This a great SnT. I learnt a number of cool new things about Variables and indeed Design Solver!
I recommend it to any one not very intimately familiar with Variables/equations and Design Solver.
VX does some neat things with variables in an EASY way once you are familar with the various tools.

However, by way of second edition...

Page 42
Tells you to 'type' in the Variable names which is not necessary (or even really desirable?).
Prior to opening the Scale dialogue, Right Click on the work area and open the Variable Browser(VB).
If in Sketcher you will need to use the Tools Menu to open VB.
(Maybe this should also be Right Click in Sketcher for consistency)
VB will stay up until closed/exit.
Then you can just click in the Dialogue field box then click the Variable you want.
No Browsing as such.
This works in most situations, Dimensions et al. Just Click and Click - Very slick.

(BTW In Sketch, if the Manual Solve is ON, the dimension/variable will not solve immediately)

Ditto page 43.
I see no reason to Type when you can click pick and be perfect!
The key is to open the Variable browser first. Again, Right Click or from Tools.

The other Tip that could be used is the Shift/Right Click to bring up the Filter.

IMO teaching shortcuts is an important part of the SnT dialogue.

For those not familiar with VB,
if you cannot find the Variable you think you have created,
click on the up a level arroww '<========' Until you find what you want.

Well done who ever authored that.

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 10

05-05-2010 08:02 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback.

I chose to have the user type variable names to increase the chance for success for the student and it is easier to describe. I also prefer to type the name. However, your suggestions should be used in a second edition. I completely forgot about Shift-Righ-click for the filter. Glad you like the Tutorial.

Jarrod.
See also
X