CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Regen current object/'automatic' vs 'manual'?

Regen current object/'automatic' vs 'manual'?

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 6

Regen current object/'automatic' vs 'manual'?
26-04-2010 11:36 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Guys,
whilst I have go~ogled the KB extensively I have not found any explanation of the difference in Auto and Manual current object regen.

IMO, Icon tips should be phrase identical to the relevant Help text or at least the Tip text should be part of the relevant Help text.
For instance, google //"regen current object" site:vxcadbase.com

Nothing is found yet this is part of the text in the Tip that comes up on the Regen Icon.

Since I have just noticed the optional Regen command, I think an explanation here might be of assistance to others who may not have noticed it yet.

Chris

Message 2 of 6

27-04-2010 01:46 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
If you search on 'regen current object site:vxcadbase.com' , without the quotes around "regen current object" you will get a few results, but none seem to address the Auto vs. Manual.

Putting quotes around a search term means this exact phrase, so it won't show results with only partial hits, only an exact match.

Here's the entry for Regenerate Part History:
http://www.vxcadbase.com/phpkb/article-229.html

Paul

Message 3 of 6

27-04-2010 05:16 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
In the absence of a tech response on this command, but the presence of some experimentation, I think it is an enhancement and replacement of the 'Auto regen on edit' toggle option in the Config/Part menu

So now we have light with a switch at each end of the hall! Seems to me the config option is now redundant and in fact adds confusion - mine anyway.

If the Tool is different to this I need to know.

Mike

Message 4 of 6

27-04-2010 05:19 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
A couple points of clarification are obviously needed here. (Sorry I wan't faster) I actually was surprised to find this out recently. Apparently, you can only search for help article titles; NOT THE ENTIRE HELP.

Since I have been editing the HELP pretty extensively recently, the easiest way I have found to navigate is to use the Index.

Auto Regen. This is on the PART tab of the configuration. For the most part if an item is already checked it is taken for granted so the item didn't jump right out at me. Here's how it works. If you Right-click on a history item and select REDEFINE, after your change is complete the history will ... get ready ... here it comes ... Auto Regen. If you uncheck this in the config, the history will sit there waiting for you to make the next move. Step thru, play to the end, suppress, delete, etc.

Use the Link Manager (try searching on Link Manager) to associate other VX objects and external files with the active part. VX objects "linked" to the part can be flagged so that they are regenerated when the Regenerate Current Part icon is picked.

When the AUTO REGEN ON option is checked, all hard linked objects (those with a asterisk in front of the object name) are automatically regenerated after the parent part is regenerated. The objects are regenerated in the order they occur in the list.

Paul

Message 5 of 6

27-04-2010 05:42 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
thanks Mike, some interesting info here.

Regards the Regen Tools.
I think the explanation needs to cover the different results from choosing one or the other of the Regen Icons in the main menu as in the pic attached. These are NEW (to me at least)
Cheers

Mike

Message 6 of 6

28-04-2010 01:24 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Check this link in a couple of days Regen Current Object
See also
X