CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > About Blank and Unblank feature

About Blank and Unblank feature

Subscribe Topic

Orchid

Super Moderator

Message 1 of 6

About Blank and Unblank feature
08-10-2010 10:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
As we know ,when we used Blank and Ublank or Swap command,it will creat a new feature in the History manager. What do you think about this characteristic of ZW3D?

welcome everyone's suggestion and view.

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 6

09-10-2010 04:25 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
this funcionality is very useful.
In most situations this features on history help us to better understand the operations on feature edition .
Sometimes we have two or more objects on the screen, and if we want to work with only one object, we use to hide the others. Next time we edit the history the object visibility are the same of the feature creation.
This feature is very useful when working with surfaces or with a big assembly.

Orchid

Super Moderator

Message 3 of 6

10-10-2010 07:55 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Durbeck,
Thanks for your reply
There are no doubt that Blank and Unblank command are important in 3D software ,but these command just chang the status of molde but not the form or the feature , as far as I know,other 3D software don't create a new feature in the history manager after use Blank and Unbland command ,Just Because these command was used frequently , if as a new feature ,there will be more feature show in the history manager,there will be not so convenient and intuitively to manager the design step .

Mike

Message 4 of 6

11-10-2010 09:41 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Over the years ZW3D refined the way we used Blank, Unblank and Swap Entity Visibility. Most commands in the software act on the visible geometry so keeping track of what geometry is blanked and visible is paramount to a successful history regeneration. So they do change the status of the model but also the form and function.
When I am teaching the product to new users I always suggest, regen often, save often, and step through the history before archiving the file and erase un-need history items. There are undoubtedly extra blank and unblanks that were done during the design process just to inspect different aspects of the part. Blank followed immediately by Unblank All; the Blank can be deleted but more inspection of the history is needed before just deleting both commands.

Paul

Message 5 of 6

15-10-2010 03:07 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Further to Mikes comments, since ONLY visible geometry is edited, Blanking and visibility controls in a multi body environment is an essential part of the history as it has direct influence on which body is to be edited.
For instance you want to model off an inported data object so rather than creating an assembly you import the part directly. You might reference the part to set up your model then as you do operations that would edit the import, you blank it, then unblank it later when it is next needed.

Other times you can Swap all, Blank a feature you want to use, the Swap All again and it can now be edited. In this case you can remove both Swap All's and leave just the Blank feature in the history! This effectively and Unblank.

The flexibility Visibility controls give are very useful once you fully understand their usefulness.

warren

Message 6 of 6

30-10-2010 11:52 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I don't like keeping track of blank / unblank commands or change color / layer layer on / off or other information that is not related to geometry. I wish there was the option or a featuer that could allow certain commands to be tracked or ignored in the feature history. If it is not essential to how I change geometry I don't want to spend the time or resources keeping track and manually deleting extra information.

Any old autoCAD drivers here will remember how infuriating it was when autoCAD included every zoom and pan in their undo cache.
See also
X