View Dragging

Subscribe Topic

Steve

Message 1 of 11

View Dragging
13-12-2010 08:38 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am using SP1 fo ZW3d. In VX 14.4 there was an option in the Display tab of the Configuration dialog box called "enable view dragging". I always kept this un-checked to avoid this annoying behavior. It is completely unnecessary for anyone used to the F2 key (which does the same thing) and it slows you way down when trying to window select entities. Anyway, this option is missing in ZW3d. Has it been moved somewhere?

Thanks

steve

Paul

Message 2 of 11

14-12-2010 12:18 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve,
I have never had the annoying behavior and I have never fiddled with that control.

What is happening in Z3 that you don't want to happen?
The 'F2' equivalent icon is till present.

---------------

What I have noticed is that in Sketcher, the top row of the Icons are not indicating On/Off. e.g. Dimensions. Construction/Constraints etc. These do not toggle graphic as such like some of the other icons, but rely on a shaded/not shaded state.
I am using a 1980 x 1080 screen res which is 'native' to this screen.

I note in the Read-me we are told the screen should be a lot lower resolution(can t remember actual size).
I say get real, this is CAD, we always want the highest res. we can get.
CAD software might need a min. res., bit not a max.

Cheers

Mike

Message 3 of 11

14-12-2010 07:30 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I'll answer both questions.

Steve, Enable view dragging was removed because it was felt that everyone would want this easy way of accessing Dynamic Viewing. Simply hold down the mouse buttons and drag! This was obviously not true. I have had two people complaining now. I will write a PCR asking that the option be reinstated.

Paul, You lost me with the

but rely on a shaded/not shaded state.
There has been no change in how these icons work since day 1 of VX.

As to the README file, it is wrong. It should read 1280 X 1024 is the recommended size. Same as it always did. This may not be a useful setting anymore with all the different screen sizes out there. However, we do state that a 17 inch monitor is the minimum recommended. A lot of new laptops are only 15 inch, they are convenient but com'on! this is CAD.

Steve

Message 4 of 11

14-12-2010 10:50 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Mike

Thanks for the PCR. I also noticed that since the time "enable view dragging" was introduced as an option, we sometimes get stuck in dynamic view mode when selecting entities and have to exit the current command with the escape key. This also happens in ZW3D SP1. I have not been able to reproduce this consistently. I was thinking it might have something to do with the view-dragging option, and its impact on the use of the F2 key. Has anyone else seen this?

Steve

Mike

Message 5 of 11

14-12-2010 01:21 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I have not heard any reports of this, though I can see where you would have to be a little bit more deliberate with your picking. If you are picking and moving it could be interpreted as a dynamic pan.

Paul

Message 6 of 11

14-12-2010 03:54 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
thanks for the heads up on the screen res. I raised this because I was wondering if it was related to the icons not indicating as I remembered.
Now it seems I was having a dream! How about that... They do not indicate on or off except in my mind. So I think this is an oxygen deficiency malfunction. I will take a little walk and see if the stars are out.

Re navigating on the screen.

I wonder if the input control device(mouse, touch pad, etc) has something to do with the 'need' for F2.
I use a MS trackball and have next to no issues selecting and manipulating the model.
However I do use the selection filters a lot and can understand how you could have trouble if not using them. But after all isn't that why they are there...

So Steve, what device are you using?
Cheers

Steve

Message 7 of 11

17-12-2010 04:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul

We all use the mouse here. I can be very efficient with the mouse and the F2 Key. I really like the way I can toggle between view manipulation and entity selection with F2. I believe it's the best CAD interface out there (or maybe I'm just really used to is after 12 years of VX). But with the change in ZW3D, the toggle between selection and view manipulation is dependent of the movement of the mouse at the moment you click on the screen. For me, this results in endless re-picking, especially when window-selecting an bunch of entities.

The other issue I was trying to describe is when I get stuck in view manipulation mode. I cannot click on (select) any entities. Al mouse movements cause a change in the view, regardless of whether F2 or F3 are depressed. The only way out is to hit the escape key and start over. This is one of those weird random events that I can't duplicate.

Steve

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 11

17-12-2010 04:43 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Steve

Regarding the second issue, I think it may happen because an options field has the focus. It should be the case that when F2 or F3 are held-down, focus goes to the model window but it does not always happen. Something for ZW to look into, I'm sure the majority of customers still use the mouse + F Key combo rather than a SpaceBall or other dedicated device. 3D Connection's SpaceNavigator might be an interesting alternative though.

Mike

Message 9 of 11

18-01-2011 01:22 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
You can look for this configuration option again in SP2.

And I hope nobody asks about the release date...because you know our lips are sealed...3-11-11

Paul

Message 10 of 11

20-01-2011 04:40 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike,
this remains ambiguous even now....
There are two date formats around the world.
a) DD/MM/YY or b) MM/DD/YY

Which is it...pls?

Mike

Message 11 of 11

21-01-2011 08:51 . am   |   View his/her posts only
The idea was to be ambiguous...you got me. Can I say that this is the American version of the date? Since we are probably not going to wait until November to release SP2 this is MM/DD/YY.

See also
X