CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Windows 7 Compatability and optimum settings?

Windows 7 Compatability and optimum settings?

Subscribe Topic

Mark

Assistant Engineer

Message 1 of 18

Windows 7 Compatability and optimum settings?
26-01-2011 03:30 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Running Windows 7 on a new workstation.
Windows 7 proffesional 64 bit.
Dual Xeon X5680 3.33GHz
12.0 Gb Ram
Nvidia Quadro 5000

VX 14.50
When it starts windows 7 changes views mode to basic.
Program is very sluggish to undo or get the display to refresh when loading graphics or redefining a command.
Session management set to on
max undo steps set to 1500
compact undo ticked
Max undo memory 1000, cant set any higher

Can someone shed some light on why VX is not happy on my new machine, which is a flyer for other programs, and give me some hints on config, both VX and windows.

Paul

Message 2 of 18

26-01-2011 04:28 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Can't be technically specific but Win7 runs transparency which is not compatible with ZW3D or VX. In ZW3D, it automatically switched off the transparency. I ran 14.50 briefly in Win7 and didn't notice any issues... so maybe something else... 64 bit ???
You can switch transparency of within Win7 as a choice.

BTW Any reason why not using ZW3D?

(That's a whopper of a screen, do you get neck injuries swinging from side to side! )

Mark

Assistant Engineer

Message 3 of 18

27-01-2011 03:15 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Paul, thanks for the comments.
I cant carry on with this issue its driving me mad, could it be the file is saved over a network?

The screen is just fab! And the neck fine thanks!

Not using ZW3D as I believe my vendor hasnt issued me any passwords.

Paul

Message 4 of 18

27-01-2011 05:05 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mark,
using ZW SP1 in Win 7(32) today.
I'm doing a Standalone Sketch and want to plot it.
It takes ages for Plot to come up full screen and print previews are slow as.
I am using an AMD Quad Core with 4Gb Ram and some fancy Graphics card.

I have a Dual Core on XP at home that is way faster .

Just interesting...

Mike

Message 5 of 18

28-01-2011 08:15 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Mark,

Here are a couple of things.

V14 Customers can request a ZW3D License to REPLACE their VX License

Click on the above link and request your upgrade today. Where they ask for your password put your system ID and which VX product you are running on V14.

With the added resources available to us since the merger we will be doing timing tests to determine why some 64 bit system run slower. As you know, VX/ZW3D is still a 32 bit application. That means the software is compiled on 32 bit and obviously runs more efficiently on 32 bit.

Your "Max undo steps and memory" are a little bit of overkill but they should not be causing your slowdown. I cannot imagine stepping thru 1500 history lines just to turn around and undo all of them. I have mine set to 200 and have never hit that limit.

If the problem was the fact that you are saving over the network, your slowdown would only be seen when you save.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 18

28-01-2011 05:59 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello the MIB

Have you tried working with the file saved locally instead of over the network as a test? If you are working on an assembly or pulling in components from other files over the network, that is certainly going to reduce response time while VX/ZW searches the paths, but much depends on file size and model complexity. Generally I would choose not to work over a network, even if the only slow-down was during saving, because subconsciously you go from saving frequently (good practice) to a reduced number of saves. Another issue is that you are locked-out if the server goes down - a costly loss of time.

Mark

Assistant Engineer

Message 7 of 18

01-02-2011 04:07 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Originally posted by: ChrisW
Hello the MIB

Have you tried working with the file saved locally instead of over the network as a test?
No, Not yet, are you suggesting I use the file locally and backup to server?
What happens to all of the location searches if I were to revert back to server use?

TextText

V14 Customers can request a ZW3D License to REPLACE their VX License

Click on the above link and request your upgrade today. Where they ask for your password put your system ID and which VX product you are running on V14.

I am waiting for Dongles and codes.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 18

01-02-2011 08:51 . am   |   View his/her posts only

are you suggesting I use the file locally and backup to server?

That is what I would be doing, whatever application I had.

What happens to all of the location searches if I were to revert back to server use?

Essentially, in doing so you have moved related files to another location, so a history regen dependent on Objects from those files will fail. ZW3D will actually try to find the new location but it is far better to simply edit the paths that ZW3D 'knows' via File/Search Paths.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 18

01-02-2011 09:24 . am   |   View his/her posts only

...Hey theMIB, I notice that you have got an absolute top-of-the-range Core i7 - Is that two of them? Eight cores in total? I wonder if that is an issue for ZW3D, it possibly is not compiled with such a power-house CPU set-up in mind. I'm sure whatever rendering app you use will work well, though the trend is moving towards leveraging the GPU, especially nVidia's Tesla - running on that beast would be interesting!

Mark

Assistant Engineer

Message 10 of 18

01-02-2011 10:36 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Its a six core Xeon I believe, and two of them.
Yes the rendering is quicker on Keyshot CPU renderer compared to my last PC and any other around the company!.
Task manager shows 24 cores...

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 18

01-02-2011 12:44 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

...ah, you need that big screen so that the Task Manager can list all the cores!

Paul

Message 12 of 18

01-02-2011 07:09 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Must be sad seeing all those cores and only one or two working!
Is there core redundancy built in. e.g if one goes down can you keep computing away happily? Imagine you could burn up 23 cores and still be a runner... could take you up into the next Century.
I wonder at what size a screen it gets to be too big?

Mark

Assistant Engineer

Message 13 of 18

02-02-2011 02:46 . am   |   View his/her posts only
There you go all 24 going!
The desktop image over two monitors, second being 22"
Wouldnt go larger than 30, but 26 0r 28 would be nice too.
Doesnt make VX, (in my case), go faster!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 14 of 18

02-02-2011 10:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Nice rendering going on there. Hats off to Intel, their new processors are outstanding. If Intel were to create their own OS to work with their CPUs, that would really be something. There was a rumour to that effect some time a go but nothing has happened. Although the Core i7 series is fantastic, I can see nVidia breaking into the CPU market and becoming hotter competition than AMD. At some point, the only input method your PC will need will be your thoughts........

Dave

Message 15 of 18

02-02-2011 12:06 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I probably can't help anything, but I have been running VX/ZW with Windows 64 bit O. S. for the last year and a half. Once Mike got me to run in XP Compatibility mode, I don't think I have issues of the software running slower than normal unless I don't know what normal should be. The only thing I can suggest is to look into how much overhead you have because even though there is 12 GB Ram, we can only use 3.8 in 32 bit.

I don't work accross a network, so I wouldn't know how that impacts. If you're just saving to the network, probably not much. If you are working accross the network with the file residing on a server, response could be a network function.

If you use the "$$free" utility in VX to free up ram memory, how much is it freeing up? The other thing is, have you looked at disk fragmentation? The defrag utilities in windows are only manual and next to useless unless we go out of our way to utilize them?

I don't think it has anything to do with the problem, but if you have very large files, does VX/ZW fragment the files all over the hard drive? The computer gurus would know if VX/ZW places file data on the hard drive anywhere it wants. If the file is badly fragmented and large, this could effect performance. VX doesn't have a file compacter, and Mike has told me it doesn't need it.

It is good to here your rendering software is working well in a 64 bit environment. Of course it is compiled for 64 bit and multi cores or processors. It sure would be nice if ZW were too.

DaveD, a computer ignoramous.

Mike

Message 16 of 18

02-02-2011 03:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Speaking of a file compactor...the only thing we have currently is under the View pulldown menu > Clear Facets. If you are in an assembly there is an option that will traverse the entire assembly and delete the facet data. When you save the file there could be a substantial space saving.

In V15 (ZW3D 2011) there are a few more tricks. In the configuration there is a new setting, "Save without display data." This will traverse all the part objects and strip out the facet data. A variety of part and assembly files were tested with the "save without display data option". File size reductions ranged from 15 to 45 percent.

(Unrelated to this question but situated right next to this setting - "Confirm File/Save" - If you have been wanting this, it is now here.)

There is also another option called "Automatic NURBS data reduction." This is an on-going project but right now it will reduce the file size by 75% for a block with one threaded hole.

When it is ON, NURBS surface data reduction is automatically applied to swept surfaces with a tolerance of 0.05 times the global proximity tolerance associated with the surface's parent part (see Part/Edit/Preferences/Tolerance).

The "Automatic data reduction" configuration setting also controls the default setting of the "Minimize surface data" switch on the Morph commands (Part/Free Form/Morph xxx).

Mark

Assistant Engineer

Message 17 of 18

03-02-2011 02:55 . am   |   View his/her posts only
My slowdown is not the computing time for each comand, it is a lot of 'pausing' when say 'redefine last'. The menus take forever to refresh.
Also, in a large history model, undo, is 5 seconds per comand, I have been used to as fast as my finger can click. going forward or redo is no problem.
Another time waster is unblanking blanked objects using undo. (VX14.50)

ChrisWard2k2

Message 18 of 18

03-02-2011 02:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Not related to VX/ZW3D issues but possibly relevant to your new kit:

Intel yesterday stopped shipments of the Series 6 chipsets used with its much vaunted Sandy Bridge processors. The reason: a problem with the SATA controller that could over a period of time cause problems with SATA-linked devices.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3259061&

There is talk of a recall.

See also
X