Ever wondered about the cost of an automotive design error? How about $125 million in punitive damages way back in 1978, with over 1.5 million recalls and a severely slammed reputation? That was the story of Ford's Pinto design defect.
One of the lessons from this story is just how crucial precision and accuracy are during the design of automotive components. It is of little mystery why automobile manufacturers now utilize CAD/CAM solutions during the design process because there is no room whatsoever for errors as even a single deviation in data or dimension can make the vehicle defective.
In this post, we examine the differences between a CAD & CAM package, and how ZW3D's CAD/CAM solution is beneficial to the automotive industry.
What are CAD and CAM?
CAM, which stands for computer-aided-manufacturing, refers to the use of software deployed by a computer system to precisely convey instructions to a machine tool (CNC), which in turn uses the instructions to fabricate high-end machine parts.
On the other hand, Computer-aided-design (CAD) is the process of using software programs to create responsive designs of tools, equipment, and structures.
CAD software helps create and visualize both 2D sketches and 3D modules and often integrates with Computer-aided-manufacturing, as part of the machine production process.
The differences between CAD and CAM?
It is not uncommon to find people mixing both CAD and CAM with one another, but it is necessary to spell out the distinction between these two.
While CAD is the process that involves the transformation of abstract concepts into visualized designs using a computer software package, computer-aided-manufacturing involves transforming these design ideas into physical products by adopting several manufacturing processes.
But let us point out while these two forms of computing technologies may differ, they have come to rely on each other with time.
CAM relies on the geometry and dimensions of computer-aided-design to carve out paths on materials that eventually form manufactured pieces of equipment. It is basically the next process of manufacturing to take place after design terminates. Both processes (CAD and CAM) need to occur in a synchronous order before the manufacture of any part of a machine can happen.
What can the CAD and CAM systems of ZW3D do for the automotive industry?
Haven explained the usefulness of both CAD and CAM technology to the manufacturing process let us touch on a software package that utilizes these two innovations to create products. ZW3D is an integrated CAD/CAM solution that takes care of the entire manufacturing process. Everything from the initial product design to the final machining operations itself.
Earlier, we touched on the complexities of product design in the automotive industry and the importance of accuracy and precision in the manufacturing process. ZW3D takes up the challenge and offers a lot more.
Here are some of the areas where ZW3D becomes invaluable in the automotive industry;
1. Providing innovative product design: ZW3D provides the automotive industry with a better way of creating unique products draft, design, and simulation. It enables the maximization of designs through its use of solid-surface hybrid modeling. ZW3D also supports parametric modeling and direct editing of designs, making it easier and faster to work and avert dangers associated with deviations and errors when designing components.
2. Detailed molding: ZW3D acknowledges the need for details when carrying out molding design, and it has several tools geared towards creating critical components. For instance, the Fast Core-gravity parting ensures that parting lines are created either automatically or manually to boost efficiency when molding.
3. Efficient machining: Machining operations goes up a notch with ZW3D. For starters, this CAD/CAM system supports multi-axis milling (3, 4, and 5 axis milling), which helps improve the production quality and precision of automotive components, it also helps save ample time for machining operations.
The inclusion of machining functions like; Swarf, Drive Curve, Drive Surface, Flow Cut, Side Cut, and Point Control — helps improve machining capacity, thereby enhancing its efficiency.
What are the advantages of using ZW3D CAD/CAM solutions in the automotive industry?
ZWSOFT, the maker of ZW3D, understands the nature of the automotive industry and just how much they seek innovative ways to streamline their operations and save costs. This was why they spent extensive periods on research and development to engineer CAD/CAM solutions that stand out from the rest.
Some perks automotive industry players gain from using ZW3D CAD/CAM solutions include;
· Shorter Learning Curve: The ZW3D team understands the importance of user experience, which is why they developed a software with a very familiar and intuitive user interface that makes it easy for beginners and experts alike to seamlessly carry out design operations. Everything from tool selection to file management and design visualization is easy to operate, plus the software is pretty responsive which helps boost productivity.
· Highly Efficient Roughing Strategies: ZW3D provides innovative technologies for high-speed roughing that hastens the rate of metal removal during machining operations, which in turn reduces the time to complete the machining procedure, and it translates to lower operating costs for automotive companies.
A typical example is ZW3D's proprietary module Volumill™ that helps create optimized tool paths leading up to 80% machining duration savings. Also, ZW3D's efficient roughing leads to the use of the full length of the cutting surface, which prolongs the cutter's lifespan.
· Powerful Turning: ZW3D supports several machining operations like; Roughing, Finishing, Grooving, Threading, Facing, and Drilling for turned parts, and these operations can either be internal or external. It all results in the implementation of stronger cutting edges and surface finish. Also, it leads to improving the productivity of the manufacturing process.
Competitions between players and the need to reduce operating costs in order to remain profitable are the primary catalyst for innovation in the automotive industry. At the center of all these are CAD/CAM solutions and how they make the manufacturing process more efficient.
For any participant looking for a robust yet easy CAD/CAM solution for their industrial need, ZW3D is the perfect choice due to its relatively low cost and adaptability for machining manufacturing operations.
For more information about our other services, visit the website today.
Get the latest newsletters about products, customer stories, tutorials, events, and offers delivered straight to your inbox!
Please enter your name correctly.
Please enter your Email correctly.
Please select your industry.
Please select your country.
Topic(s) of Interests*
Please select your topic(s) of interests.
You are now subscribed to ZWSOFT newsletter.